Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shylu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2018
Hi everyone

I'm really happy with the Iphone XS Max. There are many positive aspects. But now I am absolutely disappointed with the display. The OLED display of the iphone xs max is always highly praised by critics. For me, the display was a very important criterion when I bought it.

For example, if I watch a video on YouTube in Full HD quality and compare it with another smartphone (compared it with the Huawei p20 pro and the samsung galaxy s8) then I strongly notice that YouTube is less sharp on the Iphone. And that's clearly noticeable! Full HD was selected as the resolution on all devices. In a direct comparison the sharpness of the videos on the iPhone xs max was clearly worse than on the android competition (Huawei and Samsung).

Has anyone already noticed this? Is there perhaps a setting option or another reason for it? I can't understand how the display of the Iphone XS Max is always perceived as so good.

I also compared the videos to an iphone 8 plus and the sharpness on the Iphone XS Max is only slightly better.

It really annoys me because I read a lot of tests in advance and the display was always mentioned as the strength of the Iphone.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Hi everyone

I'm really happy with the Iphone XS Max. There are many positive aspects. But now I am absolutely disappointed with the display. The OLED display of the iphone xs max is always highly praised by critics. For me, the display was a very important criterion when I bought it.

For example, if I watch a video on YouTube in Full HD quality and compare it with another smartphone (compared it with the Huawei p20 pro and the samsung galaxy s8) then I strongly notice that YouTube is less sharp on the Iphone. And that's clearly noticeable! Full HD was selected as the resolution on all devices. In a direct comparison the sharpness of the videos on the iPhone xs max was clearly worse than on the android competition (Huawei and Samsung).

Has anyone already noticed this? Is there perhaps a setting option or another reason for it? I can't understand how the display of the Iphone XS Max is always perceived as so good.

I also compared the videos to an iphone 8 plus and the sharpness on the Iphone XS Max is only slightly better.

It really annoys me because I read a lot of tests in advance and the display was always mentioned as the strength of the Iphone.
My display has been fabulous. Only thing I’ve noticed when comparing the iPhone oled vs. Samsungs is the awful over saturation of the colors on the Samsung display. Nothing like real life.

nieks

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
The Netherlands

Youtube is somehow blocking anything bigger than Full HD. The other phones probably gave you a higher resolution video. As it is Android, these phones have better options, because well: google.

If it really annoys you, return it and buy an Android. The Xs (max) displays are ridiculously good, but Youtube is the pain in the iPhone butt.

nieks

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
The Netherlands
That's not the issue. The Xs Max has a display of 2688x1242, yet Youtube supports 1920x1080 as max resolution. That's a youtube decision. They don't want to scale down a bigger resolution to fit the iPhone display, so instead a smaller resolution (full HD) gets a bit blown up to fit the iPhone display. This results in a less sharp display.

However: can it really bother you, @Shylu ? I mean, its a phone. It has huge pixel density, its a 6,5" display. It's not like it's your 55" tv or anything...

harsh1592

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2016
Boston, MA
I noticed this as soon as I replaced my Samsung g7 edge to Iphone xs max last week. The display on the iphone xs max is always appreciated but I find it sad to see youtube being run only at 1080p. The picture quality (in youtube) is definitely no where compared to the quality of screen it has.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Hi everyone

YouTube app or YouTube through Safari? Through Safari videos will look awful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.