Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EnglishPsycho

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Hi Guys,

apologies if this has come up before, I'm noticing an issue with Face ID when making a purchase on the App store. It forces me to install with my password and not with Face ID. I get an error message coming up that says "Unable to Set Up. There was a problem setting up biometric authentication on this device. Please try again later."
Face ID works fine on everything else, like unlocking the phone and Apple Pay.
Has anyone else had this issue or can you replicate it on your Max?

wolfaaron

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
Not in the App Store but it did happen to me when trying to set up my Citi Mobile app. I thought it had something to do with the app but maybe there’s a bug?

EnglishPsycho

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I hope it is just a software bug that will be patched, don’t really want to have to restore my phone or take a trip to apple, lol.
If I get time i’ll speak to Apple to at least make them aware.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Had the same thing, update the payment info on the phone. The expiration date / cvc code is missing (was the problem for me).

EnglishPsycho

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion on that one, unfortunately it hasn’t fixed the issue for me.

Ryssfemma

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2018
Thanks for the suggestion on that one, unfortunately it hasn’t fixed the issue for me.
There is a solution that worked for me.
I spoke with a apple representive, he had to make a call to his collegues, as he said he never hears of the problem with any device.
He came back and said that there is no such message even on their developer board.

But suggested that i would only reset the settings, not a factory reset on the phone.
And it worked for me. Clearly they received reports of it, because i called them on release day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.