iPhone XS Max iPhone XS Max - Face ID range

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AJAAY, Sep 26, 2018.

1. AJAAY macrumors 6502

AJAAY

I upgraded from the 8 plus to the Max, so this is my first time extensively using Face ID. What is the range of the Face ID sensor? It seems to be very limited (at least on my Max).

When at work I have the phone laying flat on the desk, and I find more often than not I have to lean over and look straight down at the phone for Face ID to register. Also when the phone is still laying flat on the desk turned at a slight angle, Face ID will not register.

I also noticed while playing with Animojis and holding the phone regularly at the standard angle, when I slightly tilt the top of the phone away from me, the Animoji no longer registers. Just seems like a very limited range.

2. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

Maybe you need to do a secondary scan with it on your desk to scan the bottom of your chin and neck! LOL. Honestly not trying to be funny.. but from that angle that is all it can see and you scanned your face. My solution was a phone stand... works perfectly!

3. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

You need to pick it up for Face ID to be even triggered is how I understood it.

4. AJAAY thread starter macrumors 6502

AJAAY

That is quite disappointing. I wish it was Touch ID and Face ID, and not just Face ID. Looks like for my use, Face ID is not the better solution.

5. BugeyeSTI, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018

BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

You have two choices, go back to your 8+ or move to a different phone manufacturer that uses touchid. Apple has been perfectly clear that faceid is their future, customers can either embrace it or find something that suits their needs. I’ve been using faceid for a year and I would never go back to touchid. I understand it’s limitations and it’s strengths so I don’t ask it to do things I know it cant. I purchased a wireless charging stand for my desk so when I wake my screen, it unlocks without me having to lean over. Setting up a good face scan is also very important, not only the distance but the angle.

6. adamhenry macrumors 68000

adamhenry

7. AJAAY thread starter macrumors 6502

AJAAY

So passionate. I didn't think one simple observation would garner so much. Face ID is still new. It still needs to and will improve.

8. OTACORB macrumors 68000

OTACORB

No actually you can just tap on the screen and if it sees your face it will unlock. This is why if you are using it on a desk you just need a stand. How hard is that? :)

9. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

Get a case with a stand, works great. And in the car it’s on my magnet which is pointed right at me.

10. Synomenon, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018

Synomenon macrumors 6502

I thought they were going to make FaceID work when in a horizontal position (like laying in bed) in iOS12...

11. Deacon-Blues macrumors 6502a

Deacon-Blues

I use my iPhone Max in my car with CarPlay. It’s in a mount and is about two feet away, a little below eye level. I tap it to wake it, and it reads my face from at least two feet, and at an angle, because I’m not looking straight on at it. So far it has recognized me 100% of the time. No complaints.

That being said, the Animoji interface seems quite fiddly. I have trouble keeping the camera happy with my positioning. I haven’t had very good luck with it the few times I tried to use it.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

1A7B3626-381D-4148-B070-2777AE62BDA9.jpeg Not a face but portrait mode is working good for me.

13. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

This is one of the things I’ve had to get used to, getting it to authenticate while on a desk. I’ve found just tilting it up enough to see my face works ok. You could try tiring off the Require Attention feature, but note that makes it a little less secure.

Agree with the finicky Animoji range. I have a hard time getting to always work. I noticed Animoji really likes a lot of light for some reason.

14. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

This is one area where Face ID needs to improve. Often, when having lunch, I have the phone flat on a table & need to lean over it to unlock the thing.

So I'm finding myself trying to prop the phone up on an angle when I don't have a hand free...

15. AJAAY thread starter macrumors 6502

AJAAY

If Face ID is indeed the future Apple wants to go. That’s great. But they NEED to improve the range and angle of the Face ID sensor. It’s extremely limited right now.

But I have confidence they will. But it’s good to know that right now it’s just how Face ID is and not an issue specific to my Max.

16. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502a

I haven’t had the problems expressed here, but I did notice that there is a definite distance beyond which FaceID fails to work, which impacted how I was able to mount the Max in the car. In my preferred location, I would have had to lean forward, which felt unsafe. I had to move it “within range” of my normal sitting position.