Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
Anyone else annoyed the interface for the Max is just everything blown up? Why cant they scale things and make use of the extra space? just bugging me and hoping a future update fixes it... this is basically a venting thread lol.

GloriousAndrew

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2017
Most apps still need to update to take advantage of the resolution of the Max and the upcoming XR. Don't worry. Things will get optimized for the phone.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
A large percentage of big phone users buy a big phone exactly because everything is much bigger. That's really the whole point of the big phones. You're still young with sharp close vision- but your day will come too, as sure as the sun will set, that you will no longer be able to read small type clearly at close range.
Just about everyone over 50 can't read the microscopic fonts on a iPhone SE without wearing glasses. And even then it can be a struggle. The small phones are virtually unusable to older eyeballs. A big phone eliminates the need to always bring glasses everywhere you go. That's a pain.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Apple is not going to turn it OS upside down to make it look better on the MAX. I do not want double the icons on my MAX screen. The extra real estate is fantastic!

You need to look at jailbreaking where you would have more freedom!

Reactions: MyMacintosh

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Anyone else annoyed the interface for the Max is just everything blown up? Why cant they scale things and make use of the extra space? just bugging me and hoping a future update fixes it... this is basically a venting thread lol.
The UI is not just blown up on the Max. In most areas, there is more info available on the Max.

With some applications, particularly third party ones, it's just blown up though, since it requires updating to work properly on the Max. This comes with time.

A large percentage of big phone users buy a big phone exactly because everything is much bigger. That's really the whole point of the big phones. You're still young with sharp close vision- but your day will come too, as sure as the sun will set, that you will no longer be able to read small type clearly at close range.
Just about everyone over 50 can't read the microscopic fonts on a iPhone SE without wearing glasses. And even then it can be a struggle. The small phones are virtually unusable to older eyeballs. A big phone eliminates the need to always bring glasses everywhere you go. That's a pain.
For properly coded apps for the XS Max, the screen elements and fonts are exactly the same size as on the XS.

The way to make everything blown up on the Max (same screen info as XS but bigger) is to put the phone into Zoomed Display mode. Most people do not do that.

Reactions: 5105973

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
the time and icon in status bar, they could be smaller to fit more in. The Apple logo on start up is massive, it all just looks silly being so big. They have a zoomed option so if you want things big have that, but not everything needs to be massive. The amount of icons on a page is the same as the smaller model... just loads of random parts of the UI seems too big and not scaled effectively.

Never been. fan of the Music app but its even worse on the Max, such poor use of a large screen.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
the time and icon in status bar, they could be smaller to fit more in. The Apple logo on start up is massive, it all just looks silly being so big. They have a zoomed option so if you want things big have that, but not everything needs to be massive. The amount of icons on a page is the same as the smaller model... just loads of random parts of the UI seems too big and not scaled effectively.

Never been. fan of the Music app but its even worse on the Max, such poor use of a large screen.
The Music app just sucks in general IMO.

It's sad that the music app on my old iPhone 3G with iOS 4 was superior.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

Your user name is finally relevant. :D
[doublepost=1538602002][/doublepost]
The Apple logo on start up is massive

So what else are you going to be looking at while the phone is booting up?

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area

Haha how often do you see the Apple logo on start up to notice it’s huge?

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
This. Times 1000.

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
While I agree it's a bit comical things are just scaled up and it's why I ended up getting rid of my iPad, it's nothing new and this a very good reason for you to look into jailbreaking to accommodate you.

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
While I agree it's a bit comical things are just scaled up and it's why I ended up getting rid of my iPad, it's nothing new and this a very good reason for you to look into jailbreaking to accommodate you.

I’ve always jailbroken in the past but the jailbroken community seems lost nowadays lol especially with all these betas and new models lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.