iPhone XS Max iPhone XS Max locked me out

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Edge1978, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Edge1978 macrumors 6502

So i turned my iPhone off while at work and during break I turned my iPhone on and seeing it rebooted, it wouldn't unlock using Face Unlock, it would only unlock by putting in my password and it kept saying incorrect even though its the same password I've used forever! My iPhone is now disabled for 15 mins.

Not sure what else I can do. Is there something in iCloud that I can reset the password? this has never happened to me before.

2. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

If you don't know your password you are kind of stuck.

3. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

You can pull a DFU restore and unlock it with your iCloud password. But you'll lose your data.

Chances are you can try a backup from iCloud and see if your issue has been solved.

Either way that's a very bizarre issue

4. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

It’s always been this way that if you turn a phone off with a passcode you have to enter your passcode to unlock it in case the phone is stolen. Just because you have FaceID doesn’t change that. It is weird that your phone isn’t taking your passcode tho.

5. Edge1978 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks everyone, I did a hard reset to see if that helps. It reset the counter :( So I am gonna try once more and then just restore through itunes.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Hope it works but Restoring should require the pass code. At least I think so.

Keep us posted.

7. Edge1978 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

I setup my face ID this morning as well as password, seeing I just got the phone on Saturday. So I am thinking of restoring it and backing up from sundays backup.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have FaceID set up on my MAX but when I restored it, I am pretty sure it wanted my pass code. I hope not.

Let us all know how you make out!

9. Edge1978 thread starter macrumors 6502

If it does, I am hoping it lets me input my usual password and this is just a glitch of some sort. Maybe since I put the code in this morning, maybe I fat fingered it.

But I will definitely let you all know.

thank you

10. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Maybe you played with your phone in your sleep and set up a new password? :(

11. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

This is not a glitch. If you’ve setup some random passcode while setting up the phone then you’ll get locked out and possibly only apple will be able to help you. A restore will require you to enter the passcode as well.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's possible you forgot your passcode, you need to restore from a backup. Hope you didn't forget your iCloud password since you'll need that to unlock the iPhone after it is restored.

Just make sure it's your phone and not someone else who has the same phone as you.

13. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

I don't see how this could actually happen...

14. Edge1978 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have no clue how it happened but it did. I had to restore my device and during setup it asked me to input my password and voila it worked.

I’ve been using the same password since the iPhone 4 and never had this issue. I’ve googled it earlier and surprisingly it happened to others. Just not recently.

Talk about a pain

15. Lobwedgephil macrumors 601

Lobwedgephil

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Congrats for dodging the "bullet"!