iPhone XS Max iPhone XS Max or Wait till next year?

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Hi all. Since my previous phone was stolen RIP iPhone X. Decided to think it’s time to get a new phone. I’m in my last year of high school and was thinking if you I should get a iPhone XS Max now or wait for next years version.

The reason why I would like to get it now is because I need it to film segments of our graduation video since I have the OSMO Mobile 2. But also my portfolio videos for my program (Film Studies) Thoughts?

Found a iPhone XS Max 64GB with AppleCare+ for $1400CAD on Kijiji sealed. So any thoughts?

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
What do you have right now, since your old phone got stolen? If you are completely out of a phone - then yeah, you can go ahead and get one. Whether you get a Max or something else if up to you (and your financial situation). If you got a hand me down replacement phone, then ride that out as long as possible before you upgrade.

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
What do you have right now, since your old phone got stolen? If you are completely out of a phone - then yeah, you can go ahead and get one. Whether you get a Max or something else if up to you (and your financial situation). If you got a hand me down replacement phone, then ride that out as long as possible before you upgrade.
iPhone SE

bushman4

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Xs MAX has an immersive screen and is fast
Big question is what model are you coming from? Nobody really knows Apples plans yet and I think Apple is waiting to see what Samsung is doing with its Flex phone before it decides

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Xs MAX has an immersive screen and is fast
Big question is what model are you coming from? Nobody really knows Apples plans yet and I think Apple is waiting to see what Samsung is doing with its Flex phone before it decides
The OP mentioned their previous phone was the ‘X’ in the opening sentence of their post.

Zelda Chestnut

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2018
I say just go for it. Next generation is still a while away, you'd be waiting quite a few months. The current XS Max is an amazing phone that will last you years, and other than a triple lens camera I don't think next generation iPhone will have much hardware to boast over this years.

Eksoccer99

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2018
I'm on the 1-year Next plan. I always wait until Jan/Feb (now). At launch Oct-Dec, it's always a 4 week lead-time or not enough in-stock. Actually, just last night upgraded to Xs Max from iPX. Decided, to go back to the bigger size. Like stated above. It's still ways away. Go for it!

mikehalloran

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
If it's a huge concern, keep waiting till it's not, if ever. You won't get to enjoy the features but...

You can always buy on the phone company or Apple 24 month plan. These let you upgrade every year.

I buy on the same plan but replace after 2 years and a few months. Gives me a little time to enjoy a lower phone bill. Then I decide I need a feature and go check it out ... a new iPhone follows me home and... we all know the rest.

The iPhone is now so good I don't feel the need for the latest and greatest. The only reason I bought an Xs is that I wanted the dual-lens camera in a smaller body (and I wanted Apple to work out any issues in the X). Otherwise, I would have kept my 7 Plus—which I did anyway and now use it as a stereo recorder (think of it as an oversized iPod Touch 6 with truly decent battery life).

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
I'd say wait. The SE is still a great device and chances are, the Max will drop in price come September.
I wouldn't be caught dead with an iPhone SE in high school. Using a three-year-old phone makes you automatically ineligible for admission into the Cool Kids Club.

Through high school I had a 3GS and then an iPhone 4. Didn't get a 4S mostly because nobody would be able to tell the difference anyway.

I'd get the XS Max.

Tmacc47

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2018
Ohio
I wouldn't be caught dead with an iPhone SE in high school. Using a three-year-old phone makes you automatically ineligible for admission into the Cool Kids Club.

Through high school I had a 3GS and then an iPhone 4. Didn't get a 4S mostly because nobody would be able to tell the difference anyway.

I'd get the XS Max.
Lol wow. In high school, i had a slider, qwerty keyboard, non-smartphone and the 4S was out. I dont think a phone measures coolness factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.