iPhone XS iPhone XS Max Random Restarts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sportykid2332, Sep 24, 2018.

1. sportykid2332 macrumors regular

Has anyone else noticed their new iPhone randomly restarting? The past few mornings when I pickup the phone, I get the FaceID alert that it needs the passcode after being restarted. This makes me think it's been restarting at least once overnight. I've also noticed this occasionally when taking it out in the middle of the day and caught it restarting once when just sitting on a table. Curious if anyone else has noticed this issue?

2. archer75 macrumors 68000

3. FFR macrumors 68040

FFR

4. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

5. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

6. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

So far my MAX has worked without a flaw.

8. MilesUK macrumors newbie

Yes I have been having the same problem since I got my 256GB Max on Friday, I erased everything yesterday and set it up as a new phone but still having issues with apps closing and the phone randomly rebooting. I have been speaking to Apple today and have a support call running with a "senior" engineer who has guided me through doing a full DFU with iTunes, I am currently using the phone without logging in to my apple account to see if the issues still persist.

9. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

My X did this, it would only happen overnight as it sat on the charger, never during the day. It was very odd and I never tracked down the reason. My new XS Max hasn’t done this yet, though.

10. sportykid2332 thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting, yeah it hasn't bothered me immensely yet so I haven't gone through that process. I'm considering upgrading to the 12.1 public beta since I ran the public beta on my X previously. Are you on 12 currently?

11. MilesUK macrumors newbie

Yes on 12.0 currently, it seems to be behaving since the DFU and I have now signed back in to my account and installed all my apps etc....will keep an eye on it over the next few days.

I guess this is one of the downsides of buying on release day, you get to experience all of the new model bugs :D

12. sportykid2332 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess so. Well yeah let us know if the issue persists. I'll let you know if the beta helps (or hurts) anything

13. ApplePieAlaMode macrumors member

ApplePieAlaMode

Yes my first Max did this. And I say first Max because I returned that one and swapped it out. I was having other issues with it as well. I was getting white bars and my camera was performing crappy. New phone hasn’t done it yet. Fingers crossed.

14. MilesUK macrumors newbie

Will keep you updated

15. kerplunknet macrumors regular

If that happened to my brand new iPhone, I would have get it replaced ASAP, whether that was an exchange or if I had to return and rebuy.

16. Medusa3 macrumors 6502

Medusa3

Are you sure you don't need to just clean off that front camera?

17. MilesUK macrumors newbie

So my phone is still randomly rebooting and apps are freezing, I need to get it replaced, will I need to make a genius bar appointment or can I just take it to my nearest Apple store for a replacement?

18. FFR, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018

FFR macrumors 68040

FFR

Because it’s a new device I’m sure they will exchange it out as long as they have sufficient stock. don’t think you need a genius appointment.

Good luck

19. MilesUK macrumors newbie

Spot on, now at my local Apple store getting a replacement phone. First available Genius Bar appointment was for next Monday!

20. sportykid2332 thread starter macrumors regular

That's what Apple Chat just told me I could do as well. Only annoying part is I have to bring everything back, including the box, cables, etc.

21. FFR macrumors 68040

FFR

Anytime.

22. onethinline macrumors member

I’ve noticed at least two random restarts on my XS Max as well, so I don’t think this is an isolated issue.

23. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

Nothing for me. Not an Apple apologist for those who will yell at me. Just haven't had the problem.

24. MilesUK macrumors newbie

So the replacement phone was doing exactly the same thing, I have given up and reverted back to my 7+ which has never given me any trouble.

25. sportykid2332 thread starter macrumors regular

Exchanged my phone last night and haven't had the issue...yet