iPhone XS iPhone XS Max screen uniformity (top to bottom)

shrutte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2018
Just to clarify, this is not about screen being 'yellow', or glue etc, or color changing when looking at an angle.

This is specifically about a 'gradient' from pink at the top to yellow at the bottom. The screen does not seem uniform when looking straight at it. This is visible on light backgrounds: settings, email, calendar, notes. Top of the screen is pinkish and gradually changes color to almost greenish yellow at the bottom. The effect is more visible with TrueTone on, but is still present when its off. I swapped the device in apple store but the second unit is almost the same (maybe a bit less pronounced). Display units at the store seem perfectly uniform.

Anyone else having the same issue? Whats your experience if you go with exchange?

Color filters obviously don't help because they apply evenly across the screen.

for the record, someone else having the same problem https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/9hxz0e/iphone_xs_max_color_gradient_from_top_to_bottom/?sort=new

Last edited:

shrutte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2018
Mine is fine. OP, sorry that yours isn't. Genius appointment?
Said they don't see it, by eyeballing. They did not test it with calibration tool or machine. Swapped the device. Same hue tint, maybe a bit less pronounced. Definitely gets more noticeable with TrueTone on. I wonder if they 'calibrate' (or whatever quality control measures) those screens with TT off.

shrutte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2018
This is an example that can be captured with a camera. The bottom portion of the screen is less bright, which I think shows up as yellow/green tint on lighter background. I used ScreenTest app from app store, with one notch below full black. In real life this translates to a clearly visible shift from pinkish white at the top to yellowish white at the bottom.

Attachments

Last edited:

GIBBI

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2018
I do also notice a colorshift when I look straight from the top to the bottom while I'm looking at a light background like the settings or notes.

When I'm watching videos or using "darker apps" everything looks awesome, but reading in the forum or on Facebook is kind of annoying, because it looks like it is a little bit brighter and also has a different hue at the bottom of the screen. It's more noticable when the brightness is high by the way.

It's my first OLED and also not bought as a private device, so I'm just thinking about keeping it for the 2 years or trying to get a replacement. I guess I need to use it a few more days to figure it out.

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
This is an example that can be captured with a camera. The bottom portion of the screen is less bright, which I think shows up as yellow/green tint on lighter background. I used ScreenTest app from app store, with one notch below full black. In real life this translates to a clearly visible shift from pinkish white at the top to yellowish white at the bottom.
In real life you've created a test scenario which is likely to never arise in real life.....

shrutte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2018
In real life you've created a test scenario which is likely to never arise in real life.....
The uniformity issue is annoying and noticeable. Email and notes are commonly used apps, not even mentioning web that is mostly light colors. My list of emails starts with pink-white and transitions all the way to yellow-green for the email at the bottom. I started testing only after seeing this. I could not post a picture of the original issue because I don't have a good camera. That is why I posted a picture I could take. I'm not sure whether white uniformity is the same as dark brightness but it sure affects the same are of the screen.

janeauburn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Just to clarify, this is not about screen being 'yellow', or glue etc, or color changing when looking at an angle.

This is specifically about a 'gradient' from pink at the top to yellow at the bottom. The screen does not seem uniform when looking straight at it. This is visible on light backgrounds: settings, email, calendar, notes. Top of the screen is pinkish and gradually changes color to almost greenish yellow at the bottom. The effect is more visible with TrueTone on, but is still present when its off. I swapped the device in apple store but the second unit is almost the same (maybe a bit less pronounced). Display units at the store seem perfectly uniform.

Anyone else having the same issue? Whats your experience if you go with exchange?

Color filters obviously don't help because they apply evenly across the screen.

for the record, someone else having the same problem https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/9hxz0e/iphone_xs_max_color_gradient_from_top_to_bottom/?sort=new
I noticed this, too. Mine went from pink/ish to white.