iPhone XS Max Iphone Xs Max

Nadeem_Guroo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
Hello,
Today i purchased an iPhone xs max in india which is an imported phone,its was not sealed though but was not activated however while i opened the sim tray i found an at&t sim card inside it,i was confused that why there was a sim inside it when it was non activated.
How can i check whether its an at&t contracted phone?
I was able to activate and use it with indian sim and the warranty starts from today

Can anyone tell me the story behind it?

Nadeem_Guroo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
I would contact AT&T. Did you buy it from an Apple store? If not it could be used or a returned device.

Email ATT.
I bought it in india through a third party store,the phone is totally new and even it was not activated

Nadeem_Guroo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
Sorry but if bought via a third party and the phone was not sealed, it could have been pre-owned.

As long as you are happy and it work, all is good.
Agree brother but if it was a pre owned device how come it would have been non activated,there was not even a minore scracth on the phone and even the company protective wrap was there.
I am just worried that it should not be a stolen iphone in the foreign country.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Agree brother but if it was a pre owned device how come it would have been non activated,there was not even a minore scracth on the phone and even the company protective wrap was there.
I am just worried that it should not be a stolen iphone in the foreign country.
If it had an ATT sim card in it, it came from America. Hard to tell if it is stolen but I do not think AT&T can lock the IMEI outside of America so even if stolen, it should still work. It may not work in America, if you travel.

Reactions: Nadeem_Guroo

Nadeem_Guroo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
If it had an ATT sim card in it, it came from America. Hard to tell if it is stolen but I do not think AT&T can lock the IMEI outside of America so even if stolen, it should still work. It may not work in America, if you travel.
How can i check the imei lock status of at&t and will i get the hassle free warranty at apple service centers in my country.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2018
Earth
If it works with your SIM, I do not think there is anything else to do, enjoy your phone.

As for the warranty, it is valid only in the country where the iPhone was originally sold. So, if you walk inside the Indian Apple Store, and ask for a repair under warranty, they will reject you, because the model wasn't originally sold in India.

EDH667

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California
How can i check the imei lock status of at&t and will i get the hassle free warranty at apple service centers in my country.
Sounds like your iPhone is unlocked since it is working with your local SIM. You can put your IMEI into the AT&T unlock portal at this link. https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/unlockstep1 if they send you an email that it is unlocked you will know that it is not under an AT&T contract. You can also check the Swappa IMEI checker to make sure it shows up as clear on that database. https://swappa.com/esn

Nadeem_Guroo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
If it works with your SIM, I do not think there is anything else to do, enjoy your phone.

As for the warranty, it is valid only in the country where the iPhone was originally sold. So, if you walk inside the Indian Apple Store, and ask for a repair under warranty, they will reject you, because the model wasn't originally sold in India.
No,i have got an US purchased iPhone 7 replaced in india before a year or so without any questions,Just they asked for the bill which i have provided and that was of a local vendor.And in return i was provided an indian specific model.
[doublepost=1552912312][/doublepost]
Sounds like your iPhone is unlocked since it is working with your local SIM. You can put your IMEI into the AT&T unlock portal at this link. https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/unlockstep1 if they send you an email that it is unlocked you will know that it is not under an AT&T contract. You can also check the Swappa IMEI checker to make sure it shows up as clear on that database. https://swappa.com/esn
After putting my imei on att website,it shows the device is lost or stolen so we can't unlock it and something like if the info is wrong contact at ...
While checking on swappa its all ok.
So what does it mean and how to go further with it as i do not know anything about this and the US

Nadeem_Guroo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
Does the at&t contracted iphones work with different operators sims in other countries.

Nadeem_Guroo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
Finally i contacted at&t support via chat and they said that its an unlocked device and has never been activated on at&t and on further information they said that the device is blacklisted by there insurance partner assurion and cannot be used,so i asked is it blocked worldwide,he said yes it is blocked worldwide and will not work anywhere,but i am currently using the device in india.
So the question is that will it ever stop working in india and is there anything to worry about it in india.

Banglazed

macrumors demi-god
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Finally i contacted at&t support via chat and they said that its an unlocked device and has never been activated on at&t and on further information they said that the device is blacklisted by there insurance partner assurion and cannot be used,so i asked is it blocked worldwide,he said yes it is blocked worldwide and will not work anywhere,but i am currently using the device in india.
So the question is that will it ever stop working in india and is there anything to worry about it in india.
There can be many reasons for a blacklisted phone but it seem it may be related to an insurance claim or fraud by Assurion. However, i believe only US carriers enforce the blacklisted devices from operating on their networks. These devices can still be used outside of the US. You can use the IMEI number to cross check with carriers' website and you will find which carriers will support it.

Nadeem_Guroo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
There can be many reasons for a blacklisted phone but it seem it may be related to an insurance claim or fraud by Assurion. However, i believe only US carriers enforce the blacklisted devices from operating on their networks. These devices can still be used outside of the US. You can use the IMEI number to cross check with carriers' website and you will find which carriers will support it.
Thanks brother,i tried almost all carrier sims of my country india in the device and all worked,just want to confirm can they stop working in future or they would have not worked in first place itself.
Can i claim any one year warranty claims on it or apple does know that the device is blacklisted.