iPhone XS Max iPhone XS Max

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigDO, Jun 3, 2019.

1. BigDO macrumors 6502a

BigDO

I gave into the itch this weekend (deal I couldn't refuse), and got an XS Max (after 18 month with iPhone X).

I've used the Plus models ever since they were available, so I though it would be an easy switch.

Amazing screen, battery seems to last forever, but I just can't get used to the size, and whereas I could comfortably use the Plus phones one handed, for some reason using the Max one handed is impossible.

I want to love it but I just don't know if I can get used to it, and I am missing the feel of the X which was just right... I almost switched back last night after using the Max for a couple of hours, but I figured I would give it a day or two in the usual workflow and see how it goes.

Did anyone else make the switch and settled on the Max? Using it caseless at the moment, since with the case it feels even bigger than it is...

2. Ifti macrumors 68020

Ifti

Used mine with a case from day one (coming from the iPhone X) and got used to it within a few hours......

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Obviously you have a return period, Then I would just continue using the phone until just before the return period Expires if it’s something you can adjust to. It takes time, but the trade-off being you have a larger battery and display.

4. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

Absolutely use the phone for a bit and see if the size grows on you.

I owned both the 6 Plus and 6S Plus. I got the Max when it first came out and thought it would be an easy switch. However, even though the same size, the Max just felt more bulky, even with a super thin case. I got rid of the Max due to connectivity issues and went to an X. The X has felt so much more comfortable in hand for me. I will be looking at a new phone in 2020 and will check out both sizes.

Like the other poster said, you have that 14 day return window. You need to do what’s right for you.

5. ipodlover77 macrumors 65816

ipodlover77

Was in the same situation, well tbh STILL kinda in the same situation.
    I miss my X a lot of times. The Max pokes out my pockets during workouts and sometimes while walking so I have to be conscious that it doesn't fall out when I'm bending down. That being said, I do enjoy the screen, it's definitely more immersive.
    I bought the Max after sticking with the smaller variant throughout the years but this year I wanted to consolidate the iPhone and iPad usage which to a degree it does.
    One thing I noticed was, after using the leather case for a few month, even though it felt great and provided grip, it was the tipping point to "too big." Dangerous but I have to go caseless so I can regain some sense of one handedness.

6. BigDO thread starter macrumors 6502a

BigDO

Thanks for the comments. I don't have a return window, as I have bought it privately, but I still have my X and it will be easy to flip the Max if I don't end up gelling with it.

It's bizarre how different it feels in hand to the Plus models - probably because of the lack of the top/bottom bezels, which enlarge the area you have to cover with your thumb when using one handed. Even when using reachability top left is difficult to reach, and it feels like I am almost balancing the phone on (as opposed to in) my hand.

7. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

I hear you. I felt the same way. If I hadn’t had the connectivity issues, I likely would have kept the Max and eventually got used to it. But for me, the smaller size works the best and just feels right in hand.

8. buran-energia macrumors regular

What connectivity issues did you have?

9. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

Cellular, WiFi and even Bluetooth. I got the first Max on launch day. Went back to Apple first time and they did a set up as new, still had the issues. Couldn’t stream or text in areas where I previously could. WiFi range was half what my previous 6S Plus was and Bluetooth would randomly not connect but I would have to unrecognize and re-pair to get it to connect. I ended up returning the Max within the 14 day return window.

Then 6 weeks later, I was hoping they worked out the issues, so I bought another Max - only to have the same issues as the first one. I still had my 6S Plus and would literally swap the SIM. The Plus would have service and the Max wouldn’t. With Apple giving me the “huh?”, I returned the 2nd Max also. I ended buying a year old new X at Best Buy and have had no problems - it works as it should.

10. pixel_junkie macrumors 6502

pixel_junkie

I though the X was the sweet spot. Then got the Max to try it out. After using Youtube, Insta and Pinterest on the Max for a while, I couldn't go back to a smaller screen anymore. It is a completely different experience. Plus you kind of get used to the larger size and now the Xs looks like tiny in my hands.

But that's me ...

11. iObama macrumors 6502a

iObama

I bought a XS Max the day it came out, and have used it up until today -- with great wrist pain and thumb pain that's only gotten worse. I thought I'd be able to ignore it, but it's gotten too painful to hold it up for long periods of time like I need to at work.

Went to the Apple Store and bought a normal 8 today. I hate it, but damn is it light!!!

12. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

My left pinky that I use to support my phone bothered me with the Max.

13. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The Apple battery case makes it a lot easier to hold and use one-handed.

14. BigDO thread starter macrumors 6502a

BigDO

Using it throughout my working week has been great. I still miss being able to fire off quick messages one handed, but it's getting easier.

The difference between how much info I see on the screen when reading mails and websites is significant - I compared it with the X the other day and it make a lot of difference.

Going to stick with the Max for a while.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I had many of the same worries but in the end the max is by far my favorite iPhone!

Enjoy!

16. sparksd macrumors 68020

The XS Max is by far the best phone I have ever owned. I don't have large hands but the size is not an issue at all (other than I really like it).

17. MrGunnyPT macrumors 6502

MrGunnyPT

I have this very same issue with the XS.. lol.. I gotta stop trying to use it with one hand.

18. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

Have to agree with you, I miss the pocketability/one handedness of smaller phones, **BUT**, that screen on my Max, ooohhh... And the battery life for me is outstanding also, Lol.

19. MyMacintosh macrumors 6502

MyMacintosh

See my post history. I was the same way at first, it really bothered me. Nowadays I've completely forgotten about it and got used to it. I'm not going any heavier though if apple decides to make the newer phones heavier. This is my limit.

20. K4VKS macrumors newbie

Same here. I've have Plus phones with no issue. But since this is mostly screen (very little / no bezel) it was just too much for me to use comfortably one-handed. I returned my Max for the XS. I really wish Apple would adopt a one-handed mode like on the Samsung Note series. Even though the screen real estate is essentially the same between the two devices, a simple triple key press of the Note shrinks the entire screen into one corner for easy one-handed operation if/when needed

21. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Does reachability work for you? Personally I have it disabled as I don’t use it.

22. Aydy macrumors 6502

Aydy

I found the thumb is pretty adaptable to navigating the plus models. The max however is definitely a challenge one handed. Especially reaching the bottom. Trying to swipe from the bottom results in my phone balancing precociously on my 4 fingertips

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The Max Manipulation one handed to me is exactly as the same Plus models. Either way, very rarely do I ever use either phone one-handed, they’re simply just to large devices to be effectively for one handed use. If I use my device one-handed, it’s usually laying flat on a surface.

24. Aydy macrumors 6502

Aydy

Yes. I tend to only one hand whilst laying in bed. Max in my left and vape in my right. It’s doable.