iPhone XS iPhone XS picture quality in darker environments not that great

Vdovin

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2019
Hi Everyone

I just wanted to ask if anyone else experienced this with their camera?

I find that iPhone XS camera doesn’t take very quality picture in darker environments like clubs, bars and restaurants especially compared to iPhone 7 I previously had.

I also find there is a lot of blur if anyone moves even slightly when taking a normal photo, this never happened on the iPhone 7.

I have tried to play around with settings to see if anything works to get this resolved but can’t figure it out.

Does anyone here have the same problem and maybe don’t mind sharing a fix for this problem I am having if there is one.

I’ve added a photo just to show an example.

Attachments

Vdovin

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2019
This specific photo that you posted, flash ?
Yes with a flash
[doublepost=1551775095][/doublepost]Also the flash does make it worse it seems but it’s still does it with out the flash.

nbnbxdnb

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Yes with a flash
[doublepost=1551775095][/doublepost]Also the flash does make it worse it seems but it’s still does it with out the flash.
In general, I would ask people in the frame to stay as still as possible in a low light environment. Flash on a phone doesn't help too much with a group of people stretched out.
If they want to be active... I'd suggest you try camera apps that give you manual control over each parameter. The recipe I'd choose is highest ISO, bigger aperture and reasonable shutter speed... But it's difficult to do this with a smartphone in general.

Vdovin

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2019
In general, I would ask people in the frame to stay as still as possible in a low light environment. Flash on a phone doesn't help too much with a group of people stretched out.
If they want to be active... I'd suggest you try camera apps that give you manual control over each parameter. The recipe I'd choose is highest ISO, bigger aperture and reasonable shutter speed... But it's difficult to do this with a smartphone in general.

Any apps you would recommend. I really like the phone but the camera has been my bug bearer unfortunately. Just want to be able to take good photos with ease again.

fred98tj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2017
Central Luzon, Philippines
Aperture is not adjustable on this phone, nor on most other phones.
[doublepost=1551776869][/doublepost]
Yes with a flash
The camera uses slow sync flash and it’s not able to be set by the user, other off or on.
What this means is that the camera will use a slower shutter speed attempting to even out the flash exposure by allowing more background light to enter the sensor and then firing the flash right at the end of the exposure.
The iPhone 7 does not have slow sync flash.
By using a slower shutter speed it makes the photo more sensitive to subject (and camera) movement.

Vdovin

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2019
Aperture is not adjustable on this phone, nor on most other phones.
[doublepost=1551776869][/doublepost]

The camera uses slow sync flash and it’s not able to be set by the user, other off or on.
What this means is that the camera will use a slower shutter speed attempting to even out the flash exposure by allowing more background light to enter the sensor and then firing the flash right at the end of the exposure.
The iPhone 7 does not have slow sync flash.
By using a slower shutter speed it makes the photo more sensitive to subject (and camera) movement.
That’s a little bit annoying but thanks very much for the explanation. I guess there is no work around for this