Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacUse-R

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
So when I compare my iPhone XS with my 2 other older iPhones (6 and 6+) there is a tremendous difference.
Both 2 older iPhones have had screen replacements with third party screens, so they both have a different hue on the white color compared to an original Apple screen, as is common on third party screens, but I guess that should have nothing to do with the screen brightness? Unfortunately I don't have access to another iPhone with an original screen, maybe I should visit a store and compare.

The screens are much brighter on the two older iPhones, I measured with a lux meter (I don't think the meter is particularly accurate though) and it showed like a 50% difference between the XS and the two other iPhones.

I notice the problem when i´m outside in a sunny environment, then I have a bit hard time reading the XS screen even on max brightness.

Anyway, is the XS generally less bright than the older iPhones, or can the third party screens alter the brightness by doing the screens brighter?
Any solutions to this problem, one would think that if something was faulty it should stop working all together?

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cheap Android third party screens do not support auto brightness and third party replacement iPhone screens may be the same.

Have you compared the screens at max brightness?

MacUse-R

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Cheap Android third party screens do not support auto brightness and third party replacement iPhone screens may be the same.

Have you compared the screens at max brightness?

Yep, thats what I did, I compared them only at max brightness, I manually cranked up the brightness to maximum on all three iPhones.

The auto brightness seems to work fine on all three iPhones though, its only that the iPhone XS screen is much dimmer on full brightness than the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+ screens.

Can it have to do with the fact that the XS has an OLED screen while the two other iPhones has LED screens? Maybe that makes the XS screen dimmer somehow when compared to the LED screens?

If somebody owns an older iPhone with an third party LED screen, and an XS/XS Max with the original screen I would gladly hear from you about if your XS screen is dimmer as well?

Pipinou83

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2019
Yep, thats what I did, I compared them only at max brightness, I manually cranked up the brightness to maximum on all three iPhones.

The auto brightness seems to work fine on all three iPhones though, its only that the iPhone XS screen is much dimmer on full brightness than the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+ screens.

Can it have to do with the fact that the XS has an OLED screen while the two other iPhones has LED screens? Maybe that makes the XS screen dimmer somehow when compared to the LED screens?

If somebody owns an older iPhone with an third party LED screen, and an XS/XS Max with the original screen I would gladly hear from you about if your XS screen is dimmer as well?

A friend just bought the XS (brand new) and told me the same thing. She compared the XR and the XS and was shocked by the huge difference !!!

Another reason why I keep my XR :)

MacUse-R

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
A friend just bought the XS (brand new) and told me the same thing. She compared the XR and the XS and was shocked by the huge difference !!!

Another reason why I keep my XR :)

Oh yeah, thats a wise decision. I have had nothing but problems with this iPhone XS, "slide to answer" which gets stuck so I can't answer the call and i end up missing the call, problems with the modem that make mobile data stop working every now and then (apparently a relatively common problem on these due to Apple using a new modem manufacturer), dimly lit screen, MMS pictures which gets received heavily pixelated by the person i´m sending them to (when not using iMessage), and one or two other problems which I don't remember right now.
I never had this much trouble with any of my older iPhones. I pay top dollars and get a freaking phone full of problems.
I mean come on, its not one problem, but several.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.