Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LilBethan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2015
Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice on the latest iOS. I have an iPhone XS which is currently still on iOS 12. I haven’t upgraded to 13 yet as I have heard nothing but bad reviews about it.

I’m wondering whether I should upgrade to 13 or stick with 12. The main thing which is putting me off upgrading at the moment is the potential impact to my battery life.

Would appreciate some thoughts and opinions on the matter :)

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
Personally, I would make sure I am at least at 12.4 for the security patch. Then I would wait until 13.3.1 is publicly released and do a DFU restore.

Reactions: LilBethan

CoolBradG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
iPhone XS running 13.3 here. At this point, I would just go ahead and update. Like you, I held off because I read horrible things about iOS 13 on initial release and thereafter. However, I finally updated my phone, and iPad Air 2, in early December and have had virtually no issues with iOS 13. Dark Mode is the best and great for longer battery life.

The only bug I've truly noticed is with Mail. I'll get notifications of new mail but when I open the app they do not appear until I manually refresh by pulling down on the inbox screen. My iPad Air 2 also lags at times on iOS 13 but this is understandable since it's an older device. The only thing I can't attest to is CarPlay stability because I don't own a vehicle that supports it.

As a final note, I would say that given 13.3 was released back on Dec 10 and no additional updates have been issued since then, you should be good to go.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
If you go back in history, you will read "horrible things" about every new OS version ever released. There will always be some people who have issues and will share their experience with the world.

New OSes come with new features, address security issues, fix old bugs, and yes... because there is change, there will be some new bugs.

Overall, give me the new stuff! There's an army of coders who have a passionate interest in improving the products they work on - better performance and code-execution efficiency, better security, enhanced usability, greater "intelligence," etc. Yeah, there are also the headline features the marketing folks push that may or may not be necessary to your life... However, I would not turn back the clock, or hold back the tides of change.

I've felt this way since the days of MS-DOS. I used to say, "Every DOS upgrade has at least one new feature that makes it worth the price of the upgrade." And now that Apple's OS upgrades cost $0.00? It's a no-brainer for me.

The cautious will always wait. "Why be a guinea pig for iOS 13.0? Let someone else find the bugs!" Perfectly fine by me. The question then becomes, just how long will you wait? If iOS 13.3 isn't "mature" enough, wait until iOS 13.4. Will there be an iOS 13.5? Maybe, maybe not. But if you want that mature, fully-debugged version, just be sure to upgrade before iOS 14.0 arrives in September 2020, or you'll be waiting another 6-9 months for a fully-ripened version of iOS 14.

If you were totally averse to change, you'd still be using a flip phone, or maybe have no phone at all (snail mail still works just fine). Change is inevitable. The only question in my mind is whether people embrace change, or resist it.

LilBethan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2015
Thanks everyone for your advice! I decided to go for it and updated my phone :)

Böhme417

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
I held off on updating my XS until 13.3, and frankly, I wish I had stayed on iOS 12. The mail issues are well documented. Overall, iOS 12 was just more solid and responsive. I have too many random and periodic bugs. I found myself having to restart my phone too often. One of the main features of iOS 13 was/is the Find My app, and it doesn't work as advertised for me. Location accuracy has gotten worse somehow, whether it be for my devices or for friends. As always, though, your mileage may vary. Plenty of people seem to have minimal or no issues supposedly. Good luck to you.

Larbo

macrumors member
May 25, 2015
The security updates are more then enough reason to update and keep iOS current.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The cautious will always wait. "Why be a guinea pig for iOS 13.0? Let someone else find the bugs!" Perfectly fine by me. The question then becomes, just how long will you wait? If iOS 13.3 isn't "mature" enough, wait until iOS 13.4. Will there be an iOS 13.5? Maybe, maybe not. But if you want that mature, fully-debugged version, just be sure to upgrade before iOS 14.0 arrives in September 2020, or you'll be waiting another 6-9 months for a fully-ripened version of iOS 14.
That's where keeping older devices help (as long as they're not too old). They get used as guinea pigs and sometimes for beta testing to determine whether bugs affecting my specific usage and setup have been fixed.

I could easily do it on iPads (spare $250 iPad 5 & 6). Less so for iPhones. Right now, I have an issue with hotspot on iPadOS 13 dropping off every few minutes when connecting my laptop. I'm keeping my phone on iOS 12 for now and tethering from there although I'll be pretty much forced to go iOS 13 when I buy the new SE2/9 hopefully March.

jpadhiyar

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Ahmedabad, India
Although iOS 13 is criticised by many experts, one should always update the device to this latest OS. This allows you to explore new features on your device. Moreover, you can always raise complaints about the new additions from the tech giant. In a way, you can help others in making their life easier and smarter.

With iOS updates, all the third-party app developers also update their apps. Hence, you get to use the latest version of popular apps like LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp, and other apps you have downloaded on your iPhone.

LilBethan

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2015
I feel like my battery isn’t lasting quite as long as it used to. I imagine it’s doing stuff in the background related to the update. I’m hoping that it’ll calm down a bit as the days go on.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
The .1 beta (3) addresses areas like background, memory, location services, and battery as well as Safari and security.

March or February has to me been when iOS comes together, was definitely true iOS 9 with 6S+.

There is a lot more happening under the hood or trying to with 13.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.