Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
None of you people are active it seems. All these phones are too big to run with or carry in your pocket. I had all the iphines since the beginning and never broke a phone until i got teh + size phone which i broke several times pulling out of my tight jeans pockets or just dropped from the wide grip. I went with the SE a week ago and a commitment to stay off the procrastination features of big heavy phones.

There are plenty of ways to be active where phone size isn't really an issue. Runners tend to wear less clothing and smaller clothing, and they don't carry much with them. The Apple Watch with LTE capability is popular among runners because it allows them to leave their iPhone behind. That said I've seen a lot of runners sporting belts that carry water bottles and have a place for things like a smartphone as well. I'm sure there are also arm bands that can securely hold an XS Max.

I am quite active, but it's mostly bicycling, hiking, and walking. Carrying a smartphone for those activities, even a large one, isn't an issue. Cycling jerseys even have back pockets large enough to hold the iPhone XS Max, but some cyclists mount their smartphone the handlebars and use it as a cyclometer display. For me it depends on the bike. When I'm on my road bike or mountain bike I usually carry it in my jersey pocket. When I'm on my touring/commuter bicycle I have many options: Jacket pocket, handlebar bag, panniers...

Don't get me wrong: I absolutely think Apple should update the iPhone SE and continue to offer a smaller iPhone option than the XS. The XS is the largest iPhone I could see myself ever wanting to carry, and I have also had many of the models going back to the 3G. Yes the 3G/4/5 were more pocketable, but I still didn't like to carry them in my pants pocket. Pocketability depends on the pockets and the person, but the last truly pocketable phone I owned (in my opinion) was a Motorola Razr. I do sometimes carry my iPhone X in my pants pocket, but only for short periods of time. Most of the time I have a shoulder bag or a jacket I can put it in.

Zagor13

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2016
iPhone 7: 5.44x2.64x0.28 4.87oz
iPhone xs: 5.65x2.79x.030 6.24oz

I wonder if anyone feels the same as me and finds the size may be a deal breaker.
The jury is still out. It's only been a day. However, at this point, I'm leaning towards returning it and keeping my 7. On paper, the difference in size between the 7 and xs didn't seem like much. But in reality, it is significant - for me. The xr is even bigger than the xs.
damn those ancient roman empire units (thats brits copied and modified and some americans are still stuck with them even in 2018!); In NYC metric system is used widely in daily use (my observation and me using it in conversations never had an issue everyone knows it well) without problem and I'm sure most americans can use without problem but the problem is these stupid companies still giving out measurements in these archaic values thus people keep on using them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.