Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mic2904

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
All,

Genuine question: apart from screen size and battery, what is the difference?

Markus

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
I was planning on getting the Xs Max thinking that there would be some extra bonus.. but I dont know if it is really worth it. I used to be a plus owner and once I got the X, I actually love the smaller size. I am really torn!

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I was planning on getting the Xs Max thinking that there would be some extra bonus.. but I dont know if it is really worth it. I used to be a plus owner and once I got the X, I actually love the smaller size. I am really torn!
Same. I now have a dilemma. I like the bigger size but I have the X currently and like the size. Plus the X max size in my pocket would be awkward and difficult to kneel or sit.

Argentine86

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2011
I’m torn as well. When I switched from 7 Plus to iPhone X, I was very frustrated with the size in terms of use. I kept struggling with keyboard, etc...and also the smaller video.....but now I’m used to it. Nice to be able to put phone in front pocket again. Had to always put in rear pocket with Plus.

I grabbed my old 7 Plus since I saw the new Max is same external dimensions....and it’s a monster! I can’t imagine how awesome it will be to see that size with a full screen though! Might be worth it again to switch...and go back to rear pocket haha...

This maybe the first iPhone In a long time I don’t reserve just so I can make sure in store. Feels just like when the first Plus came out, I even printed/made scaled cardboard cutouts to compare and make sure I wanted the plus hahahaha.

CoriG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
I’m torn as well. When I switched from 7 Plus to iPhone X, I was very frustrated with the size in terms of use. I kept struggling with keyboard, etc...and also the smaller video.....but now I’m used to it. Nice to be able to put phone in front pocket again. Had to always put in rear pocket with Plus.

I grabbed my old 7 Plus since I saw the new Max is same external dimensions....and it’s a monster! I can’t imagine how awesome it will be to see that size with a full screen though! Might be worth it again to switch...and go back to rear pocket haha...

This maybe the first iPhone In a long time I don’t reserve just so I can make sure in store. Feels just like when the first Plus came out, I even printed/made scaled cardboard cutouts to compare and make sure I wanted the plus hahahaha.
Isnt the Xs Max the same size as the plus???

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
Still on an iPhone 7+ so for me I keep the same form factor and get more screen real estate. Win win.
[doublepost=1536782697][/doublepost]
Yes. But bigger screen.

Don't forget that it will be 20 grams heavier than the 7+ and no Touch ID if that matters to you. But overall, it has better specs than the 7+ in every way ;)

Reactions: ~SilverStreak

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I like how my iPhone 7 is lightweight at 138 grams. The XS Max is 70 grams more at 208 grams, so I'll probably opt for the XS which is 177 grams. The weight may not sound like much, but the little difference can definitely fatigue your hand and arm more. It still has a bigger screen than the 7 Plus (or 8 Plus) and appears to have all the features of the XS Max except it has slightly reduced battery life. I think the weight savings is an acceptable tradeoff. What's kind of odd is that the XR weighs 194 grams even though the chassis is made from lighter weight aluminum rather than stainless steel. The LCD screen must weigh more than the OLED screen?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I also have the 7+ 128gb and was waiting for the XSM this year. I am still on the fence on whether I want to pay $1199 even on installments. :confused:
Don't forget the money you can get by selling your 7+. Might help the £1249 easier to swallow. Especially useful for me because after Apples insane exchange rate and our 20% sales tax mine will cost $1629!!!!

Reactions: pdxmatts

whiteshadoww

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Santa Monica, CA

That's why it's "Max" and not "Plus" - only screen size and battery are larger, not enough to get to the Plus level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.