iPhone Yellow Tint- Genius Bar

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by exemos, Mar 23, 2011.

1. exemos macrumors member

So I've had some trouble with my yellow tinted iPhone... I got tired of it and finally decided to go to the Genius Bar today to see if I could get it replaced. The guy didn't want to do anything about it, said that all LCDs have different tints, finally he says that although he doesn't think he should, he's going to replace it. He tells me I've had my phone replaced a lot and just glares at me. I explain to him that the few times I've gotten it replaced, it's been for overheating issues. He gives me another refurbished phone with a worse yellow tint. "Does that look better"? I say, no. He gives me the refurbished phone and I leave. Now I have a worse yellow tinted phone. I'm not sure what to do, should I just accept my yellow tinted iPhone or continue my search for an actual good iPhone? Also, is there a limit on how many replacement phones you can get?

2. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Quit being so damn picky on the small stuff.

3. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Yellow tint on the iPhone is not normal and not what you paid for, so NO I would not just accept it.

4. err404 macrumors 68020

There is a difference between a 'Warm' screen and a Yellow screen. I have seen many people complain about a defective screen simply because it's not 'blue'.

BTW - Why did you except the replacement phone if it was worse then the one you brought in?

5. exemos thread starter macrumors member

I accepted the new iPhone because I just felt bad. He was making it seem like I was taking advantage of Apple, so I just took it and left.

6. PDE macrumors 68020

Is the screen really yellow when not sitting next to another screen? In other words, do you think about it when you've used it on its own for a little while? Or is it mainly yellow when compared directly to other screens?

7. exemos thread starter macrumors member

I can notice it alone, specially on text messages and websites.

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If you had not abused your return privileges so often before you would have had a better chance:(

9. err404 macrumors 68020

I don't know how long you have had the phone, but it's best to address any cosmetic issues ASAP. Apple is a pretty lenient company when it comes to returns. If it bothers you, and you feel justified in your request, at least ask. If their records simply show a string of bad luck with legitimate issues, you should be fine. However if the records show that you have too frequently 'cried wolf' you may meet with some extra resistance.

10. PDE macrumors 68020

i would find another iPhone with a good screen in the store before talking to the genius, and then, if they give you trouble, ask the genius to look at the two together. If it is yellow all over that will be even more obvious when right next to a normal screen -- and hopefully they'll replace it for you. Good luck!

11. exemos thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies, really helpful. When he brought out his phone to compare screens with me I could majorly see the difference. He said he could see it but that it was normal. He brought the new one out, compared it again and told me the new one was better. I'll try another store. Thanks.

12. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Heres my thread
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1097243&highlight=

This was my OLD phone on left, and HOW my new phone looks on the right
    http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=238500&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1278967512

Both phones set at 100% brightness

My story, went through 4 replacements, and the genius with a manager opened 30 (he said) black boxes and they had yellow tint.

He ended up giving me a retail brand new phone.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

From your post i think you were.

14. Shenaniganz08, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

Why the hell did you take the new phone ???

Stop comparing your iphone to other iphones. I use a laptop that is significantly too blue, and a netbook that is significantly too yellow. But as long as I don't use them at the same time my eyes will just get use to either one and set a "whitepoint" in my head

15. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

your eyes will adjust.

but i do think apple should include some screen calibration

16. PDE macrumors 68020

I agree that most of the so-called yellow screens are a result of people not understanding color and color calibration, but there is also the possibility that a display is genuinely defective...or even a batch of displays from a specific manufacturer. I had that happen with multiple laptops with screens made by Chimei --- they were all yellow, unevenly backlit, grainy, awful.

17. scottgroovez macrumors regular

Your old one looks terrible in the photo. I'd certainly not be happy with that. New one looks better, yet you state it looks worse!??

18. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I think the OP said his new phone looked worse; the one above, Andrewr23 didn't make that comment.

My first impression is, if you were unhappy with the replacement phone, why leave with it? I would never have left the shop with a replacement that was as bad or worse then my current one. Either make him open more or have him document that you are unhappy with your current phone and that they were not able to find a replacement that didn't have the same problem. That way, if you go to another store, it will be in the system that you left unhappy. As it is, you left 'happy' and with a replacement. From what it sounds like, not your first replacement or even your second. From Apple's stand point they have done a lot to make you happy; but returning with the phone you just got AGAIN really makes you look bad.

19. Geffen macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E128 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why didn't you ask for your iPhone back that you brought in? I mean if the replacement is worse I would've said no thanks I will take my old phone back.

20. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I showed him my old yellow tinted phone on the left and how my new one looks on the right.

OP, just go to genius, show him the tint (all my geniuses I had noticed it within seconds, honestly and agreed to swap out without me even asking)

MOST geniuses are nice.

21. LaynieGorilla macrumors 6502

I had the same isssue. I took mine to the apple store, compared it to three other display iPhone 4s and gn associate to look at it. He didn't think it was that big of deal but the manager did notice that there quite a difference between the other three screens and mine - mine being yellower. They swapped it and lucky for me the screen was 'normal' and the phone worked perfect. The yellowness is annoying to me as yellow is my least favorite colour.