Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
Original poster
May 2, 2005

There have been horrid, terrible storms for the last few days. Why, yesterday I got flooded a block and a half away from my house. I had to pull over for 45 minutes before I could drive the 100 feet to get to my driveway. (Thanks, mysterious neighbor whose driveway I borrowed!)

Today, though… today was fun. I had just finished closing down the registers when

BOOM!

Read Full Article

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I've found the iPhone works great as a flashlight. I went camping about a month ago in southern Pennsylvania and every time the girlfriend needed to go to the bathroom at night we would head off into the wilderness with the iPhone shining the way. I would just pull up a webpage before it loads (which was easy to do since there was hardly any service at the campsite), crank the iPhone up to full brightness, and turn off the auto-brightness for some flashlight filled fun. It is much brighter then my last cell phone. Too bad there isn't a built in flash for the camera as that would work great as well.

Nanaki

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2007
I tried this... didn't think it was all too great. You know what works great? GOOGLE!

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I turned the brightness all the way up and the iPhone before and it worked great as a flashlight for me. :confused:

When the power goes out, you can't be picky. Of course the MacBook would make a much better flashlight but, these devices obviously aren't designed to be used as one. ;)

I just talked with a friend about this the other day. Turn the brightness all the way up, and go to a web page that is mostly white, and you're perfectly fine. I don't know if these images will help narrow the beam, but my friend (who's Ericcson had a Flashlight in it) had to agree completely, that the iPhone "flash light" (without the images) worked perfectly well (brightness turned up). His phone does SOS too (morse code). Honestly speaking, this needs to just be a native app, that can temorarily reset the brightness controls, etc.

~ CB

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
So if you just get a plain white image it will work just fine as well? I agree it would be easy for a programmer to easily make a app that shows up plain white and temporarily turns up the brightness to full.

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
I used my iPhone as a flashlight this weekend, on the way to and from the bathroom from my hotel bed. Ugh, that'll teach me to drink entirely too much...

bobobo

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
The iPhone isn't a $800 phone.

"So, I get home and google iPhone flashlight, just for giggles. The best thing ever came up: iPhone flashlight. "

Why didn't you just check it up on your iPhone.

Silly.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
I don't really see the point of the images at all. When you want a flashlight, just turn the brightness all the way up-then leave it on that page (the brightness page is plenty close enough to white, AND then you don't have to go anywhere to turn it back down.)

This picture thing is way too many complicated steps. If you don't want full brightness, just turn the brightness up less, and you cut off several steps over doing it using these pictures.

However, I think I just found the application that could get me into native development. I think I'll look into how easy this would be as soon as I have some free time.

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
on set

Was filming for two nights in the woods for this indie film I'm working on and didn't have one of the head lamps most people use. We had about a 200 yard path to walk down, kind of by a river. iPhone performed wonderfully. Brightness all the way up and a white page like everyone else. No need for silly images I think, but eh....

gregdrummeraz

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
Glendale, az
it is so you cant cheat

when you play hide n seek or like sardines... I am sick of people using there phones as cheating devices in the game... I brought it up to apple. they promised me they would make things good for me!!!

sorry this one is my fault

jk

what was the final resort of the power?

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
Mine works great for that for finding my way from my room door to the bed at night. Other than that though that's about all I use it for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.