iPhone your BMW

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kingsly, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am really enjoying the seamless functionality that I get when using my iPhone as both an MP3 player and phone in the car. If I get a call, it automatically fades and pauses the music, rings through the speaker system, and routes the call into my Apple bluetooth headset. When I'm done it automagically fades the music back up just where I left off.

So, today, I got bored. Really, really, really bored. I have an extra iPhone dock and decided to stick it in my ashtray just because, well, I can.

A few hours and lots of tools, epoxy, and fiberglass later my project was done, the ashtray was never touched, and I am enjoying my little phone/MP3 setup even more!

click for pictures

2. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

4. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

The work in progress looked a bit worrying but the final result is very good. :)

5. colonelbutt macrumors regular

colonelbutt

nice
    wonder what effect this has on resale value :)

6. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Apple. Like it says. In my post. ;)
    yeah, I was very pleased with the final outcome. There is a bit more finish work to be done, but so far it's looking really good and functioning perfectly. I just need to find a 5v+ source to charge the iPhone while it's docked.
    Probably not much, considering I paid $4000 for the car. ;) :D

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I saw your post, but...

I didn't see the BT Docking Slot on the BMW Dock. So, I can assume that is the original dock that came with your iPhone? You did a superb job; can you do that for my Porsche 911??? :cool:

8. '73-B macrumors regular

Nice work! I think I'll be trying something similar in my E46.

While not a 5v power source, there is a 12v power source in the glove box (the charger for flashlight on the left side). Bavarian Auto sells an adapter for $9.95 (Part # : 82 11 0 004 073) to convert that flashlight charger to a standard cig lighter jack. You could then get a 12v iphone auto adapter (I would recommend the Belkin one b/c the cord is very thin and easy to route) and use that in the glove box and very easily route the cord behind the dash and console to your new integrated BMW iphone dock. Probably easier than finding a 5v source in the wire loom back there.

9. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Brilliant! I will do that (flashlight is rubbish anyway).

10. PatrickRolfsen macrumors regular

PatrickRolfsen

NOICE! i wish i still had my E36....:(

can you make a DIY for an E46??:cool:

11. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

looks really cool, would do something like this with my car except its a lease :mad:

12. Jocko macrumors member

Yikes. Thank goodness for my 6FL! I keep my iPhone in my pocket and let it connect via BT. I bought an iPod classic for the car and keep it hidden in the center armrest compartment connected to the factory USB port.

13. dugs022 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if the iPhone will work as both music player and phone with BMW iPod option? I am about to take a European Delivery for a 335i and I am curious. No one at my dealership seems to know.

14. SRSound macrumors 6502

You will need to have the BT option AND the iPod attachment - to talk on the phone, it will automatically sync when you enter the car but to listen to music as an ipod you will need to dock it. I would recommend getting an older ipod model as a dedicated car music drive so you can just get in and out of the car without plugging or disconnecting anything

15. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Factory USB definitely ftw!! :D