iPhone YouTube blocks syndication restricted videos?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Jeff321, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Jeff321 macrumors member

"Syndication of this video was restricted by its owner."

Is this new? Is it really considered syndication to play videos on the iPhone?

[​IMG]

This is the video link I was trying to play by the way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkF4JD2rO3Q

(I couldn't find any posts regarding this so I'm posting.)

2. divabimbers macrumors member

I noticed that as well which is annoying. It seems there are less YouTube videos that can be viewed under 3.0 now that it's full-fledged.

3. ben987654321 macrumors newbie

Really annoying

I dont quite know what this means? does it mean the user who uploaded it is not allowing people to view it as a feed from youtube? is this like RSS? would apprieciate any explainations people have!

I keep getting this on about 50% of all the songs i have on my youtube app!! extremely annoying.

is there any thing i can do to fix it or will i have to wait and see if apple can do anything to fix it?

4. Jeff321 thread starter macrumors member

Yes if the uploader disallows syndication (viewing on websites other than YouTube.com) then it won't play on the iPhone either. :(

I doubt there's anything we can do.

5. Omni Geno macrumors regular

Omni Geno

Wow, I just got this error too, and it sucks. I think they have to do something about this, not for our selfish reasons but because it will prevent millions of people from viewing these videos. Surely "syndication prevention" was not meant to have this effect.

6. Jermaine macrumors newbie

I've been trying to find a work around this... not too much luck, but there is a way if in a desperate situation:

Services such as PWNYOUTUBE (deturl.com) automate links which provide you with an option to download the youtube video straight from the server in flv format and for mp4 format... clicking the latter allows one to view the video on the iPhone (higher quality... might not work so well on EDGE)....
    Of course this means finding the video you want, figuring out the URL (mobile YouTube.com vs. the mobile app is already painful) then to copy the URL, either add PWN in front (or paste it into deturl.com) .... by the time you get this working, you don't even care about the video anymore.

They wouldn't want you to play their videos on the phone (or embedded on another page) since that would bypass advertising (lots more of that on YouTube these days.) but I understand that they don't want to A: put ads on the iPhone app, and B: lose advertising....

I'm not a programmer, and would love it if someone knows of an easier way to automate this, since I have a series on YouTube I regularly watch and would just love to enjoy it with the rest of my podcasts and video entertainment: on my iPhone... I'm sure a webapp would be able to do it (maybe a bookmarklette?) but so far, I haven't found anything

7. intrepid00 macrumors 6502

Wierd Al makes me cry cause he blocked syndacation.

8. bedbugg2000 macrumors newbie

The problem isn't that the creator of the video didn't correctly allow the video to be syndicated on mobile devices. The problem is that there is some copyrighted material that is preventing the video from being syndicated on mobile devices. I took a 60 second clip of me motorcycling and put in 60s of an AC/DC song. Because the song isn't owned by me I am unable to make the video syndicated on mobile devices. I can view the video on a PC just not a mobile device. If I strip out the song from the video then there is no problem view on a mobile device.