iPhone2 and SDK conflict

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Espo, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Espo macrumors 6502

So, as of recent rumors assume that the iPhone version 2, will be released mid-year 2008. Now if the SDK is to be released around the same time, aren't these conflicting dates. Why would apple release the SDK in June to upgrade the iPhone, and then release a second iPhone which should be more advanced. It seems very 'fishy' to me...:confused:

2. I3eXa macrumors 6502

don't think we're gonna see the next gen iphone that soon......

3. Chris Welch macrumors 6502

As far as we know, the second generation iPhone isn't going to be radically different from the current one. It will have 3G speeds, and maybe built-in GPS. Design changes? Perhaps.

But as many have already said, it makes perfect sense to make the phone release coincide with the SDK.

4. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

SDK is already out, it's the 2.0 software that'll allow App support and other goodies that comes in June, which i think would be an ideal time to release iPhone 2

In fact as soon as i heard Steve confirm the 2.0 software would come in june, first thing i thought was that the iPhone 2 release would be at the same time

5. ExitRightHere macrumors newbie

ExitRightHere

3G Iphone

Everyone keeps talking about the 3G Iphone coming out this year, but who cares? My Iphone works just fine with EDGE and its fast enough for me. If it does come out it would be great, but I'm not flipping probably about $1000 for it. Maybe in a couple of years I can see myself getting one. Anyone else feel that they need a 3G Iphone that bad?

6. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

$1000? Try something more realistic... say $500.

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

9. constant L macrumors member

why would we expect it to be any more expensive than the iphones now. i am not saying its not possible. but it seems to me it will be at a very similar price point. and then after that capacity upgrades and price decreases. it just seems that is the pattern to me.

just guesses anyway i guess.

10. igglepuff macrumors regular

a lot of places are moving to only 3g, and also, it wont be anywhere near 1k. I/m guessing theyll drop the old phones for the new ones, like they do with every revision of a new MBP kind of thing. There's no reason to keep the old ones with a new one out.

11. Otaviano macrumors 6502a

Otaviano

We also want it unlocked ... since you are catering to us :D

3G is backwards compatible

12. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

As a heavy iPhone EDGE user, I miss a lot of calls which are forwarded to VM. And as someone who relies on checking data over EDGE and email while involved in a phone call...

Yes, I need a 3G Iphone that bad. Well, not with your ridiculous $1k price tag.

13. Czechmac macrumors regular

Just to sum up,
    The expected June update should bring 3G radio into iphone, nothing less, nothing more. No new features, it will look exactly the same, do the same things, only internet will be much faster where there is a 3G network. The reason for this is that European operators and Asian operators really need it, as some operators don't have edge, because today that is an old technology, or some just prefer 3G because they have invested billions into these high speed networks and internet heavy device such as the iphone will benefit from it the most.

It was quiet frequent that you would see a version of a phone with a different radio, especially when there were no GSM networks (only CDMA) in the US.

It is gonna cost exactly the same as is the iphone tradition so far, because only change will be one chip, that's it.

So would people please stop obsessing about it as if it was the next generation of the iphone?