iPhone3G/yellowsn0w/Thailand

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cubedweller, Jan 29, 2009.

1. cubedweller macrumors 6502

Hello,

I'm will be traveling in a couple months to South East Asia and was wondering if yellowsn0w would allow the use of Thai GSM sim cards (I don't really have a preference as to which carrier) in the iPhone3G?

I've checked the yellowsn0w site and can't seem to find any comprehensive list of known carriers/sim cards that work with yellowsn0w.

If anyone has any information, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks!

~E

2. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

yes, yellowsn0w allows the iPhone to accept any SIM card in it. Just make sure you sign up with a carrier that is GSM

3. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

4. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

5. cubedweller thread starter macrumors 6502

I would definitely consider it as I'm going to Vietnam as well but the "hardware" unlock isn't permanent either; anytime Apple updates the baseband (like 2.2.1) the "hardware" unlock is overwritten -- locking the phone back to AT&T.

While yellowsn0w has the same faults, it's free, which is a huge motivating factor ;)

Thanks for the link though. It was a good read.

~E

6. navigates macrumors 6502a

Not to mention, I wouldn't want some one poking around with my iPhone. The hardware method requires removing the chip and putting it back on. Messssy and voids warranty

7. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Thats not even a Hardware unlock. All he does is change some of the codes in the Baseband chip to accept other SIM cards. Which is essentially what a software unlock does like Pwnagetool and Quickpwn. A hardware unlock would be like using the TurboSIM method.

9. cubedweller thread starter macrumors 6502

On a similar topic: if I buy one of those prepaid sim cards in Thailand and am using yellowsn0w, how does 'data usage' work? Is it possible to turn of all 'data usage' except when in WiFi mode?

~E

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

You can turn of data by setting up a fake APN. Or by setting it in Airplane mode, but that won't help if you want to make calls.