Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cubedweller

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
Hello,

I'm will be traveling in a couple months to South East Asia and was wondering if yellowsn0w would allow the use of Thai GSM sim cards (I don't really have a preference as to which carrier) in the iPhone3G?

I've checked the yellowsn0w site and can't seem to find any comprehensive list of known carriers/sim cards that work with yellowsn0w.

If anyone has any information, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks!

~E

Carl G35c

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
Hello,

I'm will be traveling in a couple months to South East Asia and was wondering if yellowsn0w would allow the use of Thai GSM sim cards (I don't really have a preference as to which carrier) in the iPhone3G?

I've checked the yellowsn0w site and can't seem to find any comprehensive list of known carriers/sim cards that work with yellowsn0w.

If anyone has any information, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks!

~E
yes, yellowsn0w allows the iPhone to accept any SIM card in it. Just make sure you sign up with a carrier that is GSM

cubedweller

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
I would definitely consider it as I'm going to Vietnam as well but the "hardware" unlock isn't permanent either; anytime Apple updates the baseband (like 2.2.1) the "hardware" unlock is overwritten -- locking the phone back to AT&T.

While yellowsn0w has the same faults, it's free, which is a huge motivating factor ;)

Thanks for the link though. It was a good read.

~E

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
I would definitely consider it as I'm going to Vietnam as well but the "hardware" unlock isn't permanent either; anytime Apple updates the baseband (like 2.2.1) the "hardware" unlock is overwritten -- locking the phone back to AT&T.

While yellowsn0w has the same faults, it's free, which is a huge motivating factor ;)

Thanks for the link though. It was a good read.

~E

Not to mention, I wouldn't want some one poking around with my iPhone. The hardware method requires removing the chip and putting it back on. Messssy and voids warranty

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Thats not even a Hardware unlock. All he does is change some of the codes in the Baseband chip to accept other SIM cards. Which is essentially what a software unlock does like Pwnagetool and Quickpwn. A hardware unlock would be like using the TurboSIM method.

cubedweller

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
On a similar topic: if I buy one of those prepaid sim cards in Thailand and am using yellowsn0w, how does 'data usage' work? Is it possible to turn of all 'data usage' except when in WiFi mode?

~E

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.