iPhone4 as iPad Wifi GPS mouse

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mark.roemers, May 2, 2011.

1. mark.roemers macrumors newbie

Why is it that i cannot connect my iPhone4 as an GPS mouse to my iPad2 WiFi.

The Hotspot is working fine, I do get a connection on WiFi and Bluetooth but I do not get a GPS signal to operate TomTom on my iPad2.

Any thoughts on this, all help appreciated!!

Regards Mark

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I remember reading somewhere else on here that when you try to use it that way, the iPhone only sends GPS coordinates once per minute. Maybe TomTom needs more frequent coordinates?

3. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Should have gotten a 3G version for the GPS chip

4. goMac macrumors 603

The shared GPS mode is not meant for real time updates. It's likely that Tomtom has just blocked this for good reason.

The updates are not sent real time so they'd be unusable for navigation anyway. For navigation you want the 3G iPad 2.

5. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

Seriously? :eek: iPad as a Sat Nav!?

Dear god! Use your iPhone 4 and be happy, the idea of wanting to use a 9.7 inch screen for navigating is ridiculous. What next? Use the camera for looking instead of the windscreen?

Having said that it would be useful for displaying a rear view camera - You know, for the wifes parking.

6. kevinkc macrumors member

I had tomtom installed on my iPod touch and transferred over to my ip2...not gonna lie it's pretty awesome

7. mark.roemers thread starter macrumors newbie

iPad2 screen too big

Hi All,
    In the new Tesla Model S, the Nav-screen will be 17 inch. So how can the 9.7 inch be too big?

Anyway, since the iPhone4 has the HotSpot I thought it would be nonsense to get yet another mobile subscription for the iPad2.

I got rid of my laptop's mobile subscription as well.

Anyway, I found an bluetooth GPS mouse on Amazon. See if that fixes the problem.

Thanks for all the help.
    Mark

8. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

Whatever floats your boat I guess......... ;)

Okay firstly that screen controls the whole car, not just for sat nav. whereas having a iPad jammed on your dash is likely to inhibit you getting to said controls.

Secondly, what is it you actually buying? What is a GPS mouse!?

A side note though; if you're buying a GPS receiver for your iPad 2 prepare to be disappointed because as far as I'm aware, it won't work. There's an App for jailbroken devices that lets you use external GPS receivers but no legit way.