iPhone4 Battpery Life: Restore vs New setup

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chocomonsters, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Chocomonsters macrumors regular

Have you notice the difference in iPhone 4 battery life between setting up iPhone 4 as a NEW set up vs RESTORE from backup?

I had my iPhone 4 restored from backup image initially. Battery life was dismal. I can see the battery % dropping every few mins while idle. I have done complete device restore (still using backed up image from iPhone 3G) and network reset without any improvement.

Searching through Apple KB, Apple recommended updating iPhone 3G/3GS to iOS4 then backing up prior to upgrading to iPhone 4. I didn't want to upgrade my old iPhone 3G to iOS4 as I wanted to sell it with 3.13 firmware instead of iOS4. Maybe that may have been the cause of my battery problem.

So I did factory restore my iPhone 4. This time, I didn't restore from prior backup. I set it up as a NEW iPhone 4. Reinstalled everything manually.

Result? Amazing battery life other people are reporting. I am not sure because my restore image was from 3.13 firmware or not.

Someone can chime in with their experience on 1) restore from 3.13 firmware vs new set up, 2)restore from 3.13 firmware backup vs restore from 4 firmware backup, or 3) restore from iOS4 vs new set up.

2. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

I moved from a 3G to iP4. Difference was that I did upgrade my 3G to IOS4 and used that backup for the restore. My battery life has been amazing. I have gone days without recharging.

3. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

4. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

I suspect this is a bit like the "signal bars" issue, in that the percentage battery displayed is an educated guess by the software on the phone, based on previous discharge cycles. Restoring the phone just restarts the process for the software, and won't actually change the time to flat battery, just what it guesses it to be. :rolleyes:

OTOH, it could be that some process that was running has been killed by the restore.

5. Chocomonsters thread starter macrumors regular

That maybe the reason. Backup image from 3.13 firmware probably had internal calibration of old phone. So battery meter probably wasn't accurate. However, it was alarming to see % dropping very few mins on idle :D

I have been playing pandora on background over wi-fi, checking facebook on and off, and answering emails for past 3 hours. Battery is still 94%. I would have reach that in 1 hour on idle before. Still have to see next couple days to see if this holds up. Anyways, I am much happier with battery life now.:)

6. audiomixer macrumors member

Exactly what I experienced.