iPhone4 constantly freezing & crashing to to boot screen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by aimfire, Jun 26, 2010.

1. aimfire macrumors regular

aimfire

Hey folks,
    Think I've got a lemon here, but was wondering if anyone else was experiencing simaler issues...

Since I got the phone, it's been freezing up and/or totally crashing to the reboot screen for no apparent reason. First time it happened, I had set an alarm on the clock, alarm went off & I turned the alarm off and put the phone down. Went back to it 10 min. later and phone was completely shut off. (And yes, I'm positive I did not turn it off, and no one else touched it, lol.)

A few hours later, I tried to send a simple txt msg, iPhone crashed to boot screen again. Rebooted phone, everything was fine again for awhile, tried the txt again, and it went through ok.

After that, I'd be using random apps on the phone for awhile, and it would freeze up or completely crash and shut off, and automatically launch the Apple logo boot screen. Sometimes the little spinning icon thing would appear over the Apple logo and just freeze up again. I'd have to hold down the home & wake buttons to force it to reboot again. Sometimes that would take 2-3 tried before the phone would fully boot up. So I did a restore from scratch and everything seemed to work ok for a few hours...

Then it started again - just random freezes and crashes to the boot screen w/ Apple logo. I thought maybe a particular app may be causing problems, but cannot trace to any one specific app... happens at random, in many different apps. I also tried killing everything in the multitasking "drawer", but still have problems.

On Saturday afternoon, problems started again with the crashing, so I restored again for a 2nd time... didn't load any 3rd party apps, just the Apple stock ones. Used the phone for a few hours and crashing started again, for no apparent reason. As it stands now, when I try to launch the App Store or iTunes apps, they start to launch for a second, then automatically quit and close.... what the??

So what do you think it is? Just a defective phone?
    Like I said, I've restored it twice now, set up as "new phone" each time, etc. Problems happening both with 3rd party apps installed, and also on a fresh restore with only stock apps. Blows my mind.... otherwise, phone is perfect - no screen or antenna issues.

I've made an appt at the Genius bar for Sunday, I'm hoping they just replace the phone and don't ask me to restore it again... Hope that they even have some replacements left!

2. Resist macrumors 68030

Not sure why you are even asking us if you have a defective iPhone 4, when clearly something is wrong with it. Obviously you have to let someone at the Apple store look at it.

3. fredjlee macrumors newbie

yeah, same thing happening with mine. just picked mine up yesterday and froze twice today just doing random things as well. guess i'll have to take it back too.

4. aimfire thread starter macrumors regular

aimfire

Yeah I know it's probably a hardware issue, but just wondering if anyone else experiencing same problems, and if replacing it was the only fix.

Thing is, it's difficult to reproduce because it happens at random... phone works fine for a few hours, then it all goes to hell for no apparent reason. As of right now, the phone is "on" and running, but both the App Store and iTunes apps crash & quit immediately upon launching them... I'm leaving it as is, so the Genius can see it and try to reboot (which probably will not work on the first try, as usual).

5. dsn112 macrumors member

Mine keeps randomly shuts off completely and it usually takes a few minutes to even get the apple logo back on the screen. I am goin to do a restore on Friday when I get home and if it still happens I will go to an apple store

This is my third iPhone and never have
    I had any of these issues before.

6. Artsifrtsy macrumors newbie

Artsifrtsy

My freezing issue is resolved

Mine would freeze up after a call if the other party hung up first. I got a replacement - same thing. I searched the Apple forums and found that people had the same issue - one guy said the issue was solved when he removed the case. He was using a case from an earlier phone and it interfered with the proximity sensor. I ditched the case and the issue is gone.