iPhone4 cutting out & only turns back on with charger

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by thew89, Aug 12, 2012.

1. thew89 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    My iPhone4 has recently started cutting out for no apparent reason. It wont turn back on unless I plug it into the charger, it comes back on with plenty of battery life. It also wont turn on with the usual recovery/holding power & home routine either.

Today it seems to have gotten worse, I attempted to at least plug it in to turn it back on but it took much longer, staying on the apple logo and vibrating as if it was about to load up but then doing the same thing 2 or 3 times before eventually turning on. When it did, it brought up some of the iPhone's set up screens, allowing locaiton services etc. After that, again it seemed normal, battery wasnt low, it worked and looked normal. But then later on cut out again.

I've also noticed that it doesnt cut out during any specific task, battery percentage or time frame and there is a slight vibration just before it cuts out.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

Have you tried restoring it and setting it up AS NEW and seeing if that fixes it? If not, it's probably a hardware issue and you'd need to bring it to Apple.

3. thew89 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I will try that now then. What is the best way to do it? Can I back up my data, start it as new and then restore it? Or do I have to keep it like new?

Also, I've noticed that when I take it off of charge it stays at 100% for a looong time compared to the other percentages.

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

I don't recommend restore it to a backup because the issue you're having might actually be saved in the backup (if it's a software issue). Restore as new and see if that fixes it before restoring your backup.

5. thew89 thread starter macrumors newbie

I restored it as new and it has done the same thing. It's as if the battery is dead, because nothing works until it's plugged in again.

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

You'll have to go to an Apple Store to see what's up. Don't try to replace anything yourself because you'll run the risk of messing it up further and not receiving help from Apple. Just go to see what they say.

7. thew89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i'll try and go there soon then. now I'm just trying to restore it to my last back up, but all of my texts and apps havent come back? and when I plug it into the computer it only loads the apple logo, then fails and trys again. Only works in the mains now.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like a hardware issue.
    Maybe water damaged.

9. thew89 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did have some water on it recently, but really not much. Just a little splash or so.

It's now got to the point where it struggled to reboot when plugged into iTunes. and now, it's cutting out when off of the charger much, much quicker.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That explains it then. There is no such thing as little water damage.
    Even if a few drops fall into the wrong place and short out any components on the logic board you're done.

11. thew89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Guys, I took my phone to the apple store and the guy told me that it was water damaged and had dust inside. Now, none of the outside sensors are pink, so I looked inside and not only were there no pink sensors inside but there really wasnt dust like he told me either. So, now I am not sure what to do. As it appears to be neither those things. Could it possibly just be that I need to replace the battery? I don't see the point buying a new phone if this could be fixed by something simple.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not as simple as just replacing the battery but you can give it a shot.
    You can still pay the out of warranty $149 replacement fee and walk out with a new functional iphone 4.

13. thew89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Since my last post it actually turned on during the night whilst plugged in, it booted up fine after a long time on charge, it came on with 6% and worked normally and was charging but veeery slow. Then in the middle of the night I heard it vibrate and it had restarted and now it's going through the same cycle as before. I thought it was strange it began working again though once I'd opened it and cleaned a little dust.

The thing is it's £119 here which is about $188 and I just dont have that, and a battery only costs £5 on ebay. So that's why I'd hope it's more of a solution.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced