iPhone4 does anyone actually get 5 bars when holding bottom left corner?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by calvin200001, Jul 3, 2010.

1. calvin200001 macrumors newbie

This is an important question, because if not, then that means that the phone will never get 5 bars using the theory they have given news sources.

2. chris.robison macrumors regular

I would say its more important to base if off of dropping calls or not.

3. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

exactly, i've had only 2-3 bars at a certain place and my speed was still 1.5Mb/s down.

4. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

If I'm near a cell tower I do. you can see it from my Grandma's house, but at my house the bars drop.

5. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

I was using my phone in a LOW service area (it had 1 bar, out in the boondocks where my old phone would get no service) holding it in the deathgrip and it worked fine.

*gasp*

6. Dice101 macrumors newbie

No problems with mine never dropped a call no signal lose from death grip, the proximity sensor also not a problem for me.

7. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

But I bet your screen has shattered like 5 times, right?

8. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Yes, mine works fine when I hold it in any hand in any way.

Sorry, I haven't tried "death grip" mode yet, I'm not in the mood to hold my phone so tight as to make my palms bleed.

9. jonstatt macrumors member

I wish it hadn't been called the death grip. It is NOT a grip at all.

Call it Death Finger...or Death Palm

All you need to do is have a bit of skin touching the metal on both sides of the black strip on the left side.

You do NOT need to cover the phone, or press hard. Just touch with a finger...

I think the misunderstanding on what causes it has actually helped Apple sidestep the issue. All phones suffer from shielding from human hands. But this is the front one to actually effectively ruin the antenna by the human hand linking the two together.

10. Built macrumors 68020

A coworker of mine and I were discussing the i4. He has the 3GS and really wants to upgrade, but had read the reception complaints.

I pulled out my phone...had 5 bars...and we tried to replicate the issue...Didn't happen...All 5 bars remained intact...

11. jonstatt macrumors member

Probably because you were in a strong signal area. Wait until you are in a place where you only have 3-4 bars to start with. Then try it.

I can certainly find places where the signal doesn't move at all if it is really strong to start with.

12. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Mine had been sporadic. Sometimes no matter what I'd do or touch, I'd have five bars. Then sometimes if I barely touch it, it'd drop to 1 - 2 bars. I've NEVER had a dropped call though.

I've since installed an incipio feather case and I'm at 5 bars 95% of the time. Other 5% is 3 - 4 bars. No more reception/bars issues anymore.

13. XCoNEPSILON macrumors member

XCoNEPSILON

My iPhone 4 stays at 5 bars even if I give it the deathgrip for like two minutes.

14. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Here you go.

15. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

I have 5 bars everywhere where I live pretty much.
    The only minor issue i'm having is if i cover the top part of the antenna, I MIGHT lose one bar of Wifi. No big deal.

16. spiritlevel macrumors 6502

Exactly. No death grip required

Apple is using the "all phones drop signal if you cover the antenna" argument to hide the real problem which is unique to the IP4 because it's the only phone with 2 external antennas that can be bridged by touching the join between them.

[​IMG]

Note that in this picture, it is only the thumb that is causing the data throughput to drop so drastically - the forefinger on the right is simply there to provide counter-pressure to prevent the phone being pushed off the plank or whatever it's sitting on.

To answer the OPs original question, depending on the signal strength of the area you are in, you may still see 5 bars when you hold the phone in a manner that bridges the antennas, see the diagram below:

[​IMG]

17. tomccabe macrumors regular

tomccabe

I can be at 5 bars, 2 bars, 1 bar and this never happens. It's not as cut and dry as you think either.

18. army91c macrumors 6502a

Yes I do.... I can hold the entire bezel sitting at my desk and the bars never move.

19. rabmag macrumors member

in most locations i can I hold my iPhone 4 covering the bottom left corner and still get 5 bars, or if the signal isn't 5 bars to begin with, the signal won't change.

However, certain areas(even where the signal isn't weak), I can hold my phone and it will lose bars. Even the speed test will dramatically slow down.

Still, yet in another case, there has been one instance where the signal was at about 3 bars, and holding the phone covering the bottom left corner caused the phone to lose signal so much that it started searching for service.

In my home, I get a VERY weak signal of about 2 bars...if I hold the phone, it will drop down to like 1 bar or 0 bars but it hasn't dropped a call, nor have I noticed any change in call quality(except for the clicking noise i hear in EDGE that I created another thread about).

I'm really starting to think these are all caused by different frequencies or something. It really is location specific.

20. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Depends on where I am...which shows that Apple's answer makes sense!

I can get 5 bars of 3G at home but the signal will drop.
    I can get 5 bars of 3G in other locations and not have the signal drop.

This tells me that the iPhone is misrepresenting the bars and it will stop once they push the update.

21. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

iPhone 4?

Use as a phone?

You've got to be kidding... :)

22. atomicbatteries macrumors 6502

Why don't you folks just take back the dam phone?

23. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

It will change how the signal strength is indicated.

Yet the iPhone 4 will still be a bug ridden phone.

The era of "Apple Excellence" is over.

24. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Because people like to cry and bitch on a forum.

25. tomccabe macrumors regular

tomccabe

It's really hard to find something new with an obvious solution to bitch and moan about I guess.