Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beergeek81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Anyone else have very negative feelings towards the "flash" on the Iphone4. I have tried several times to take picture with the flash on and the pics turn out very over exposed, and blueish. It very well could be user error, am i missing something. A setting or am i just not smart enough to figure it out..Any help would be great, Thanks

intrepid00

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2008
Are you making the most common mistake people make about flash? Flash is to remove shadows not really dark rooms. You use a flash in a dark room they never look good. That's where on a real camera you do stuff like leave the shutter open longer and flash off n

beergeek81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
i have tried several different settings, in my office under the white light, at home under soft light, dark rooms, so on and the all turn out very over exposed and blue

yentrog31

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2009
RGGnDFW
here's an article from pro-photographer..maybe it will help a bit..good luck

Another oft-requested feature addition that iPhone 4 brings is the inclusion of an LED-based "flash." This isn't a flash in the traditional sense of the term—there's no xenon flash tube and no waiting for its capacitors to charge. Instead, there is a relatively bright white LED that can light up in low-light situations. For the most dimly-lit interiors, this LED should be sufficient to light up subjects that are close-by—a typical head-and-shoulders portrait, for instance.

There are some downsides to the LED flashes that I've experienced on other mobile phones, however. Typically, the LED is generally of the "cool white" variety, meaning the light output is slightly bluish. In most low-light situations, this contrasts sharply with the warm color temperature of indoor lighting, and can result in bluish faces on your subjects. The quality of the lighting leaves a lot to be desired, too. Typically, subjects are either still too dim, or are washed out by the LED. We'll have to wait until we get our hands on a shipping unit to really evaluate it, but our hope it that it can be turned off by the user—if the quality of light sucks, we'd rather do without it.

Badfoot

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2009
London, UK
" but our hope it that it can be turned off by the user—if the quality of light sucks, we'd rather do without it. "

Can't the flash just be masked ?, would the camera's autoexposure compensate ok.

Anyone tried ?

notdecraw

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I haven't tried masking it, but you can set it to off/on/auto by touching the flash icon in the upper left corner of the camera image...

" but our hope it that it can be turned off by the user—if the quality of light sucks, we'd rather do without it. "

Can't the flash just be masked ?, would the camera's autoexposure compensate ok.

Anyone tried ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.