iPhone4 GPS, will it be any better?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tknice, Jun 8, 2010.

1. tknice macrumors member

I don't remember seeing any details (other than the integrated antenna?) that talks about whether the its GPS capabilities are any better. I know we are always limited to the non-military satellites which means the precision will only be "so good". I'd love to see a stronger signal in the new phone.

Anyone else agree?

2. gb7 macrumors member

I have read on the iPad forums that the gps on the iPad works better than iPhone 3GS. I think it is probable that iPhone 4 is using the same newer chip and with that and the redesigned antennae I have high hopes.

3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

You're right. The iPad GPS is really pretty good. I seem to recall that the iPad uses a different GPS chipset (Qualcomm - if I recall correctly) than what's in the iPhone.

4. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I really hope it's improved. I've lost faith in my stand alone Garmin gps.. takes forever to find location. Would love to ditch it and just use my phone only. Any word out there from google regarding google map navigation?

5. stevene macrumors newbie

I find it the other way around. My iPhone MIGHT find my location, and the Garmin does it within a few seconds of starting the car. Maybe I'm strange in finding value in a standalone device for GPS. In my opinion, nobody has done GPS correctly in a phone yet.

6. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

7. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I hope it works better but I still rely on my Garmin. If I get a call while on my way to an area I don't know well I can take the call and still know where to turn.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

9. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

heh... I posted twice asking about this and got no response so I started a thread a few hours ago and still nothing! :p Glad it's being discussed here!

I'd love a good, functional, fast GPS built into my phone but the GPS on my 3G was just not practical. It was fine looking things up while stationary, but while on the move, it was worthless. I have the little Nuvi thing and it finds me within seconds. I'm hoping the new iPhone's is a little more souped up than the 3G!

Can anyone speak to how the 3G's GPS functioned against the 3GS's? I assume part of the problem I had was the slow 3G processor and lousy connections. Fingers crossed it will be usable in the new model!

10. gb7 macrumors member

I have Navigon on my 3g and you pretty much summed up my experience with it. Not practical. I think ive only used it once and only because I was completely lost. I think alot of it has to do with the 3g cpu as the reviews say it runs much better on the 3gs.

Anyhow looking forward to checking it out on the iPhone 4