iPhone4 HOME button [Scratch Problem]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wisdomblue, May 5, 2011.

1. wisdomblue macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I've been using iPhone4 for about 2 months and I noticed that the "Home" button is starting to get pretty scratched up. This is obviously my fault because I have long nails and frequently accidentally used the nail to press the button.

My question is: What can I do to fix the scratches, or at least make them less visible?

I was only able to find posts about fixing scratches on the BACK of iPhone 3g,3gs. I fear that they might be made out of different plastics and it might make things worse (cause the home button is clear).

BTW, anyone had experience of using guitar polishers cause it looks very similar to "iDrop" thing?

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

IMO I think you want to avoid wet or even dry polishing the button because that material will get beside and behind the button where you can't clean it out without taking the phone apart.

3. iFiend macrumors 65816

The home button is not clear. I'd say live with it.

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Get one of the screen protectors that come with a button protector. You probably wouldn't see the scratches with that on. And or course you wouldn't scratch it again. :)

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

They're just small hairline scratches, wouldn't worry about it. You can't see them unless you put them under a light and specifically look for them.

It's normal. Short of covering it up with a goofy piece of plastic, there's nothing you can do.

6. wisdomblue thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point. Taking out the home button is very difficult (saw it in ifixit). But if there's a guaranteed method, it would worth trying out.

I'd eventually be used to it after a year or so. But for 2 month-use, it's kinda sad.
    I took great care of every parts like an OCD sufferer but I forgot the home button. : (

Nope. My only camera is the iPhone camera :eek:

7. iFiend macrumors 65816

I don't even know how you did it! I have little scratches everywhere but my home button :p

8. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

To polish plastics in electronics I have used Meguiar's Plastix, just apply to a cloth so it does not run to the insides of the phone.

To prevent further scratches get luckylabs spectrawraps they come with a piece to protect the home button and are cheap.

9. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

I have a scratched up home button too and I am a guy so my nails are not touching it. If you hold it at an angle to the sun or a bright light, it is almost a matte finish now compared to the rest of the glass.

I thought about busting out the Plast-x on it, but you would have to tape it so as not to damage the glass coating and still it would be impossible not to get gunk between the button and screen glass, so I just live with it.

10. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

Actually, the home button IS clear. It is a piece of clear plastic in the shape of a parabolic mirror, with a thin black or white plastic affixed to the bottom. so you see the color but it has this glass like appearance.

similar to how the iphone uses clear glass with colored paint underneath.