iPhone4+iMovie App Versus Canon T2i+iMovie

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Koopz, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Koopz macrumors newbie

2. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

The T2i wins because it has a better song attached to it. :)

3. swagginman macrumors newbie

Impressive . . . seeing the same results with mine. Who does the music?

4. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

Not to get off topic, but how do you like your T2i? I've been thinking about getting one.

5. puppyflightclub macrumors 6502

canon t2i shoots 18MP...c'mon seriously, is this even really a topic? iPhone shoots no where clear like these.

[​IMG]

6. Koopz thread starter macrumors newbie

The T2i is a steal... really love, just got as a backup for my 5D but the quality of this camera and what it can do is comparable to the 5DMkII.

7. Russiaone macrumors 6502

Both look great, but the Canon beats it by quite a bit.

8. Koopz thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm actually talking about the video shooting on 720P, not the pictures. I know the quality of the photos are nowhere near the t2i, if you read the thread title carefully, im comparing the videos created on the iPhone and the canon t2i edited with the 2 versions of the iMovie.

Im just trying to point out how good the quality of the videos on the iPhone 4 and what it can do to create consumer-level videos.

You don't have to put a smartass comment on the thread... PLS READ IT FIRST!!!

9. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

Do you have flickr with pics from your T2i?

10. puppyflightclub macrumors 6502

okay dude. your thread is still a fail. that HD on the friggin iPhone 4 is way different than t2i quality. this entire thread is ridiculous.

here is a downsized 720P quality video I shot with my t2i

http://vimeo.com/13198660

11. Koopz thread starter macrumors newbie

Dude....again, Read the thread carefully!!!! There is nowhere here in this thread that says that the iPhone is better than the T2i. Like I said, the t2i has a better quality because of it's higher sensor and the lens it uses, I'm just stating the fact that the iphone's HD quality and the iMovie app now has the capability of producing decent consumer-level videos.

12. Koopz thread starter macrumors newbie

Lets make this a bit more interesting. Since you have posted a link of your T2i videos. Lets do a comparison on your HD videos againts a video shot entirely on an iPhone4 and edited on it.

Shot using the Iphone4 and edited thru the iMovie app
    http://vimeo.com/12819723

Comparing this video with your T2i+Kit Lens 720p video. I say the quality of the whole video from the iPhone wins. And your video is even color graded comparing to a raw video that came straight from the iPhone.

Overall, the Canon T2i has better quality but it depends on how you use it. Like if you compare your so-called videos to the iPhone video ob the link above, sorry dude.. yours does not even cpmpare. But if you use your Canon T2i properly and use it to its full capability (such as using 180degree rule, using quality lenses) then it will always be better. But Im willing to bet that the iPhone-created video above will beat your HD videos till you learn how to use your HDSLR.

I also have a Canon T2i and I love it heck i even like it better than the Canon 7D, but not with my 5DMKII. And believe me, i know what this camera can do.

13. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

that video quality is not that good.... I would not use that as a reference to boost up the t2i

14. JamesM macrumors regular

Agreed, based on that video the iPhone clearly wins which to be honest shouldn't be the case.

15. Koopz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, that is exactly my point.....;).

This video is taken and edited from the iPhone and its even better than that video:

http://vimeo.com/13153784

16. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

The first video's song is "Empire State of Mind" by Jay-Z

17. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

With a Canon EF lens, the T2i costs about $840. The iPhone 4? $199.

This is a bit of a stupid comparison that puppyfightclub is making.

I mean, ok... let's put some perspective on this if you REALLY want to compare oranges with, well, Apples (nyuk nyuk)...

The Panavision Genesis HD blows away every single DSLR on the market. It has a full-frame (equal to Super 35mm) 12.4 megapixel CCD sensor (5760x2160).

The iPhone 4 and Canon T2i both shoot in pathetically-compressed H.264, with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling, whereas the Genesis HD shoots in full-bandwidth 4:4:4:4 HDCAM.

The iPhone 4 in particular uses 1.5 Mbps bandwidth, whereas the Genesis HD uses the Sony SRW1 Digital VTR with a Dual Link SDI at 880 Mbps (about 4.5 megabytes per frame).

The Genesis HD premiered at the NAB conference and ASC Cinematographers could not tell it apart from Super 35mm, with identical colorimetry and sensitometry. Because it was built from the ground up to be a cinema camera with a single RGB CCD, it doesn't require digital lenses that get prism-split for the RGB sensors which introduce chromatic aberrations. Therefore, it can mount all standard Panavision prime and zoom lenses to achieve identical Depth Of Field characteristics at every theoretical F-stop value.

Therefore, the Panavision Genesis HD wins.

Oh, and by the way, Panavision does not sell their cameras... but you can rent the body (lenses extra) for $4000 per day.

18. swagginman macrumors newbie

Thank you!