iPhone4 - is Apple logging/tracking my iPod usage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DukeOfHunslet, Jun 3, 2011.

1. DukeOfHunslet macrumors member

I am about to go abroad so have reset my counters to see what I am using.
    But I noticed that my Network data Usage immediately registered some, albeit small, usage straight away. I then made sure all Apps were shut down and fired up iPod on the iPhone.

I notice the small rotating circular icon on the screen (to left next to cellular signal strength) and the go and check the Network Data usage again. Sure enough it has increased.

I'm in UK. 3G & Cellular data are on. Wifi and bluetooth are off. I'm not moving - and I'm about 100ft away from an inbuilding microcell.

So why is iPod talking to the network and what is it talking about?

2. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I noticed this recently too.....wondered why it wanted to send or receive data when I was goi g to play music.....patterns? Location? Who knows....or maybe it's something totally different....but def something going on!

3. Skika macrumors 68030

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You device is always going to use some info to communicate with the towers. All iPhones were tracking and reporting back to Apple. Do not know if they still are after the last update.

5. DukeOfHunslet thread starter macrumors member

Yep - quite happy that, my phone needs to communicate with the network. I work for O2, although not in the network area, so have a good idea exactly how it does it and why - but in this case if you close down the iPod app and restart it you'll see it sends a few Kb of data back to the network. Done it a few times to double check. Real odd.

6. DukeOfHunslet thread starter macrumors member

In the case of the iPhone tracking your location it isn't quite doing that. It;s just keeping a log of cell ID's, sectors used and signal strength of it's registrations - rather then actually sending that data back to Apple in real time.

7. seble macrumors 6502a

Do you have ping disabled as well as the like features in the ipod app? If so it will probably stop using data there.