Iphone4 jailbroken with 4.0.1 how do I update to 4.1 without loosing Jailbrak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by currentcomics1, Nov 6, 2010.

1. currentcomics1 macrumors newbie

Hello I am new to the forums and I have a Jailbroken Iphone 4 running 4.0.1

I jailbroke with Jailbreakme.com I have saved with tiny umbrella. I am not too sure what to use to update and re-jailbreak if I update to 4.1.

I also am worried that I did not save with tinyumbrella the correct way. The save SHSH says "iPhone4 4.1" although installed firmware says "4.0.1"

So I am very hesitant to upgrade to 4.1 without loosing my cydia app in particular "mywi"
    Any advice on what I should do. I searched the forums and could not find a fit.
    Please advise.:)

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

If you care about being unlocked then use PwnageTool to create a custom firmware for 4.1 and preserve your baseband, otherwise use TinyUmbrella to restore to 4.1 and it will preserve your baseband.

If you don't care about an unlock then use redsn0w, limera1n or greenpois0n to jailbreak 4.1 firmware already on the phone.

3. markesq macrumors newbie

I am in the same boat, and a noob. Would aptbackup help?

Just looking to update to 4.1 without losing all my packages and apps from Cydia, and the data.

Basically looking to update firmware, jailbreak, then put all my packages back on phone. The alternative would be to update the firmware without unjailbreaking my phone, if that is even possible.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats not possible.
    Every time you upgrade your firmware you have to JB and install all your stuff all over again.
    YOU CANNOT update without losing the JB and having to reinstall your Cydia packages and rest of modifications after.

5. markesq macrumors newbie

Ok, so if I update and Jailbreak. Is there a simple way to put all the packages and apps back on without having to pay for them again?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You never have to pay again for Cydia store apps you already purchased. You download and install them for free using your google id or facebook login tied into your purchases.
    You click purchase and then connect with google or facebook login that's it.

7. markesq macrumors newbie

Do I need to write what I have loaded down or anything I can do make it easier.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes either put down somewhere what packages you have installed now or use pkgbackup to save a list and install them all at once for you in batch.

9. grimy macrumors member

so, does aptbackup pull them from the repo you installed it from?
    or does pkgbackup pull them from the repo you installed it from?

and a second simple question, I understand it being a big deal about "unlocking a baseband" but for those that have at&t and want to JB to the latest FW, baseband locked or unlocked shouldn't pertain to us correct?

10. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you're traveling out of country or planning on selling your phone, you would need the unlock, AT&T service notwithstanding.

11. currentcomics1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I used the Pwangetool and also used Tiny Umbrella. Thanks for the advice.:)