iPhone4-leaving wireless on

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by starstreak, Jul 15, 2010.

1. starstreak macrumors 6502

If the phone is Standby, not completely turned off. Does having wi-fi turned on drain battery? Like is it searching in the background while the phone is standby? A couple of times I forgot to turn it off after using it, and was wondering if I was draining my battery. Or are we talking about just a few minutes of total battery life?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

My iPhone 'disconnects' from the network when on standby and automatically reconnects when I unlock it. Thus, it shouldn't be wasting battery power.

3. dangson macrumors newbie

I leave mine on all the time and can go almost two days without charging so it doesn't seem to have that much of an effect. The phone still shows up on my router and emails still come in so I don't think it disconnects. But it must not use a lot of power.

4. RBfKC10 macrumors member

In my experiences trying to figure out what was draining my iPhone's battery, Wi-Fi was the main (if not the only) culprit. Without wi-fi, the phone will last over a day and a half or more in standby. With wi-fi, it struggles to last an entire ten hours. It's very clear to me that just having wi-fi on (no e-mail set up, or apps running in the background) is enough to substantially drain the battery. This may just be a fluke of my particular iPhone 4, and your mileage may vary, but I'd definitely give it a go without wi-fi, and then with wi-fi, and see what your battery looks like at the end of the day.