iphone4 LED dead

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mgsolidsnak3, Nov 30, 2010.

1. mgsolidsnak3 macrumors member

Hi,

The flash LED stop functioning. It switches on at about 1 out of 20 tries and when it does there is no way of switching it off again other than switching off the phone.
    I have restored the phone twice and still no fix. (not from a backup, just a clean restore from original firmware)

My question are:
    (1) Do you guys know how long it takes apple to fix this?
    (2) Will apple restore the phone to the new iOS (i currently have 4.1 jailbreak for the Lockscreen & notified apps i'll hate losing those).
    (3) What does apple request for fixing the phone? any kind of receipt etc? since a friend bought it from me and I don't currently have any receipts.(he bought it online so he must have an electronic kind of receipt, if he didn't delete the email already)

ps:
    (1)the phone is an official unlocked phone bought directly from apple uk.
    (2) I will hand it to them @4.1 firmware restored with nothing on it (no cydia app store etc)

Thanks

2. Muscleflex macrumors 6502

usually - once they've had a look and if they have stock, they just replace the phone on the spot.
    they can check warranty details thru the serial number

3. mgsolidsnak3 thread starter macrumors member

What about ownership?
    Don't they check if i'm the person who actually bought?
    They just check only if its under warranty?
    (of course they dont even have to check that if that's the case since its not even 6 months since the release of iphone 4)

4. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

All they will look for is that its within their warranty. Just make sure its restored to 4.2 before going in. Or else they'll just tell you to whipe it and it will work.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Where do you currently live? If the U.S., you won't have an unlocked phone after giving your UK phone to Apple.

6. nate1220 macrumors member

let me know how it turns out. I actually use my LED everyday..

7. Givmeabrek, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Sounds like a software problem. It seems the led works when it's turned on, correct?? The problem is that you can't turn the control switch on and off when you want to?

If that's correct then the led is fine. If Apple has any sense they will probably insist that you upgrade anyway. They aren't going to troubleshoot obsolete and maybe altered software. That's a waste of time.

8. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Judging by the incorrect grammar, I'm guessing he/she is not in the U.S.

Good luck OP

9. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

I was gonna say the same thing.

10. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

I've got money that says there's some kind of flashlight/activator issue going on

try a factory restore first

11. mgsolidsnak3 thread starter macrumors member

The LED itself seems fine, it still switches on sometimes. I thought it was a jailbreak app messing things up so I have tried a factory reset, twice, still no luck.

And no I'm not from US or UK, the phone is from UK and im just visting UK for a few days during xmas. Thats why im wondering how long it takes for fixing the issue.

In case they insist in installing the latest firmware is there something I can do prior to this that will enable me to revert back to 4.1 when the issue is fixed? (in case they dont replace the phone with a new one).

Thanks

12. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Get a flashlight app and see how your luck is with that.

13. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Not true. Apple replaces the iPhone for the same as you had before so if it was unlocked the new one will be unlocked.

14. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

I had (have) this same problem. Works when it wants to, then stays on until i respring to get it to shut off.
    FTR i've restored, hard reset etc. and as far as Apple are concerned it's a hardware issue. Take it back :)

15. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Like someone else said though you can't bring a jailbroken iPhone into an Apple store to be fixed. They're going to tell you that it's the jailbreak causing the LED problems. Restore, then bring it in.