iPhone4, meet the 'LG B' Android Smartphone (Thinner than iP4)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aohus, Dec 16, 2010.

1. aohus, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010

aohus macrumors 68000

The LG B will be a 4.0 inch Android OS phone that is thinner than the iP4. I believe this may be the first Android device thats thinner than the iPhone4.

The B possibly stands for 'Bright,' and will utilize an IPS LCD display.

Source of story.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Why is that screen so yellow?

I really want a 4 inch screen and dual cores next year. If iPhone doesn't deliver I gotta go android because there are going to be some badass phones in 2011

3. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

You can't judge color by pictures. iPhone development has been moving at a snails pace and tech professionals agree that the iPhone4 was Apples attempt to play catch up to the competition. 2011 will be round 2 and the competition looks fierce.

4. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

i don't think it looks thinner than the iPhone 4, why would they hold them at an angle like that making it hard to tell if it was thinner they would want to prove it

5. redbeard331, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2010

redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

That's not even an iPhone 4 that's laying next to it on the table lol!

Catch up how? What "tech professionals"?? If I remember correctly the 3GS still is right on the heels of the most powerful phones out there from the competition. The iPhone 4 is still tops 6 months later, and after owning one for that time, all other phones made out of cheap shiny plastic just feel like toys. And I've never seen another smartphone take pictures and video's like the iP4 does, check the picture thread stickied here for hundreds of great examples. And games on other phones just cannot compare with their pixelated screens and so-so graphics.

The only real areas the iPhone is behind is in notifications and customization which can be easily fixed through jailbreaking if people wish to do so, as far as I know you can't fix your crummy hardware no matter how powerful your nerd skills are at rooting the phone.

6. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

let a 'nerd' straighten you out here. the iP4 is based off the ARM chip, as well as almost every high end smartphone out there. so you're indirectly calling the iP4 hardware crummy.

secondly, i never knew jailbreaking your phone could give you perfect integrated notification system across the entire UI. thats news to me.

finally, the iP4 may be the best selling phone out there, but its definitely not the most powerful in terms of hardware. i'm not saying the iP4 is slow by any means, but its a fact that its not the most powerful.

7. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

The real question here is battery life. So far, every android device that I've encountered has been bogged down by this problem, the things just suck up battery like no tomorrow.

With that being said, I too was curious of the Android OS, then I decided to JB my i4 and the rest was history.

8. daneoni, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

It's also taller too and are is it a surprise that new technology exists 6 months later?

Actually you can...a little, and every thing else you said is BS. No offense.

9. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Everything about that phone seems cool, except for the thinner part. I don't like how thin the iPhone 4 is. I much prefer the way the 3GS fit in my hand. At any rate though, android is really starting to intrigue me. I really want a 4 inch screen phone, and I don't think apple will be delivering, so as long as android phones screens and cameras are as good or better than iPhones, I think one of their bunch will he mine. I think the android software on premium devices will be polished enough to be as good as IPhones next year.

10. vant macrumors 65816

Why do people care if a phone has a dual core?

Are you really planning to run photoshop or Crysis on your phone or something?

Don't get me wrong, I'll take it if it's there. But I won't trade battery life and money for it.

The most intensive app I've seen on the 4 is Infinity Edge, and it runs perfect on it. Not sure what a quad core is going to do for me there, other then ruin battery life.

11. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Cars all based off the same basic style of "motor moving power to wheels" but that doesn't mean to call one car crummy is to call them all crummy.

12. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

Hardware as in build materials, screens, camera's, etc. The things people feel, see, and touch, things that software cannot change. Yea, if you just wanna look at the specs, phones like the Evo have very similar or even "better" specs, yet they feel cheap, and things like higher megapixel's don't = better pictures in the real world. People see the screen, the pictures, the video games, they feel the quality and solidity of a phone made out of steel and glass, compared to plastic, nobody sees or cares about the processor, they just want it to work, nerds care about processors. That's my point. Nothing against nerds, these smartphones are slowly turning me into one:eek::p

2. Come on over to the world of jailbreaking!! There's all sorts of neat stuff, and if it doesn't exist yet, well then you can make it yourself if you wish. With BiteSMS, Notified Pro, and SBSettings, what am I missing? Of course I wish you didn't have to jailbreak to get these things, and Apple's stock notifications are horrible, but but, at least I can easily fix that myself, how can you fix hardware without buying a new phone?? I think Apple gave us the best base to work with, and the limitations can be fixed through jailbreaking, if you want to do so. So to me, I get the best of both worlds, I've got Android style drop down notifications accessible by swiping down on my statusbar, and an awesome piece of hardware that feels like a Rolex in my hand compared to something like a plastic Casio. Good luck rooting a better camera, screen, or case onto a Android branded phone:p

"Most powerful" doesn't really mean much to me, that's just my opinion, but the simplicity, fluidity, and ease of use that the iphone os brings along with the appstore and iTunes integration makes it hard to beat. Now if Apple brings out a dud next June, and HTC or whoever churns out some incredible phone with an even better camera, screen (I've heard rumors of a 1280x720 screen floating around out there somewhere), blazing fast dual core processor that preserves battery life, and Honeycomb or whatever os they are on by then and it brings a much improved appstore and design, it'll be really tempting. If that were to happen, I just hope you wouldn't have to buy the same apps all over again that exist for both platforms.

So that's how I feel about it, everything has limitations, I just feel that even with some of the drawbacks of iOS, the iPhone 4 is still the best smartphone out there, and I'm glad the competition is getting better every year, it means better phones for us all.

13. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Omg really a phone that's coming out that's gonna be thinner then a phone that's been out for 6 months?

14. aohus thread starter macrumors 68000

after careful look at the chart, i've come to the realization that B could stand for "black"

if you see, compared to the retina display, the display uses 0 watts when the screen is black, meaning, when darker colors are used. i believe that could be the case. or i could be totally wrong.

15. Sedrick, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010

Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

You forgot to mention it has the smallest screen of almost every other serious 'smart phone' on the market.

16. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Are you high?

There isn't a single smartphone that matches the iPhone 4 in build quality and software.

17. Warbrain, Dec 17, 2010

Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Thanks for making me laugh my ass off early in the morning. There is no smartphone that matches the look or usability of the iPhone. The OS is better, the features are better, the design is better. Sure, LG may have a nice display but the rest of the design (considering it's LG) will suffer.

Also, looking at the pictures comparing how thin it is to an iPhone 4 - they purposely block the curved back with the hand.

And you know what? 3.5" is great. Anything bigger feels too big.

18. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

You'll go crawling back to the iPhone, like a bird on it's belly!

Even though Android phones have powerful hardware, like Samsung's Hummingbird, Android simply can't take advantage of it, the UI is still laggy, jittery and inconsistent, there is no hardware acceleration, so even the first gen iPod feels smoother.

Also, iOS has a feeling of consistency and unity across the whole UI, Android is like a Frankenstein, take copy-paste, each application has it implemented differently. The edge bouncing effect is present in some applications, absent in the others, and I'm not even talking third party apps.

As for the 3.5" screen, it's perfect balance between size and pocketability they should just make the iPhone 5 shorter, like iPod 4.

19. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I think any design change will not be next year. They just had a major change and I don't think they'll do it again for another couple years.

20. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

Yeah it looks nice (kudos to LG) but its not going to change my mind about my iphone4.

21. hcho3, Dec 17, 2010

hcho3 macrumors 68030

LG.....
    This is the same company who refused to upgrade their optimus smartphone to gingerbread because they claimed that android 2.3 requires at least 1 ghz processor. Turned out that it was total bs. So, some of you are willing to trust company like LG who just create total bs... Fine go ahead, but I don't trust LG anymore. Something for samsung. Look at how long it takes them to bring out froyo on galaxy s phone....
    Software is more important for me than these dual core. I don't trust samsung and LG. Look at the way they treat their existing customers. Yikes.

Are u kidding me....

I cannot believe to hear a comment like this on iPhone forum....

This is sad very sad.

22. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Exactly, and being that a new iPhone only comes annually, Apple is doing a pretty good job.

Here's what usually happens. People critize the iPhone for not having the latest this & that. Then a new iPhone comes out that kills anything that's out there. Nothing but silence from critics. 3-4 months later 80 billion differ types of new Android phones are released with the latest hardware and all the sudden iPhone is so-called way behind. Then next spring a new iPhone that murders all previous Android phones gets released, meanwhile companies will manufacture
    100 billion differ types of Android phones with hardware that's still a rumor at the moment ..... and the same cycle continues. :D

23. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I don't have the opportunity to play with lots of different smart phones, but so far I haven't come across one phone which comes close to the iPhone in terms of UI, usability and "fun".

I can understand why some don't want to be trapped in Apple's eco-system, but me personally I have no problems what so ever with it.

EDIT: improved notifications would be the next thing I would like to see in a software update

24. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

I'll add to this. I do have the opportunity to play with lots of different smartphones. For about a six month period I was switching off between a Nexus One and Galaxy S (international version -- the good one). They do not compete with the iPhone 4 in terms of usability, finish, build quality, and software quality.

The latest android phones offer good raw specs and potential, but there is so much more to a good smartphone than that.

25. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

If you said this on YouTube, I'd "like" you ;)