Iphone4 signal and reception probs

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by drybeer, Jul 4, 2010.

1. drybeer macrumors newbie

Hi.

Covering old ground I realise, but I got me iphone4 yesterday, and cannot believe how bad this antenna / signal reception problem is.

I thought it would be a minor issue, but in my home where my iphone3g got a solid 3 bars and decent 3g reception, the new iphone4 gets mostly 1 or two bars and switching between E and o speed data.

The regular occurrence with the loss of signal is that it goes from 3 bars to "No Service" before seemingly recovering after a minute and then repeating.

A re-boot seems to make it temporarily go to 4 bars - I did get excited thinking this would solve it - but it repeating the above.

I note Steve Jobs saying that it is a software issue and that the phone actually IS getting good reception, however that doesn't help that calls will not be made / received, and the way I would prefer to hold my phone IS to rest the bottom left corner in the palm of my left hand!

Like I say, old ground but I hope someone nice at apple is reading these and we can all add our names below as a kind of petition if we have this issue to get some real numbers of the iphone4 customers who have this basic problem - maybe this way we'll get a software update quickly.

2. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

If you really have to bridge the 2 antennae while you use the phone and you cannot stomach using a case, then you only have one option: Return the phone for a refund and move on.

3. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

+100
    Get over it.
    If you dont like it,return it...buy an ipod touch and a cheap phone.
    If you can live with it, live with it.

4. hobson182 macrumors newbie

hobson182

The only solution for now is to just buy a case for it im afraid, you can probably pick them up on ebay for a few pounds or dollars.

5. drybeer thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I should have mentioned in the OP that this problem happens when the phone is lying flat on the desk and NOT in my hand.

Holding it does seem to exacerbate the symptoms further.

6. Badfoot macrumors 6502

Could even be a faulty one, exchange it under warranty and see if the replacement is any better.

7. drybeer thread starter macrumors newbie

Genuinely a constructive comment - thank you.

Will see how it performs after the coming update and take it from there.