iPhone4 signal experiment

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by grooveattack, Jul 12, 2010.

1. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

i conducted an experiment to test signal issues on my iphone. I held the phone for several minutes and no drop. took the pictures and attached the metadata to it so you can see for yourself.
    So how are some people getting it and not others? all these phones are exactly the same. and no, i dont live next door to a signal tower.

Attached Files:

2. jlmitnick macrumors regular

You don't have to live next door to a signal tower to be in a place that has strong enough signal for the iPhone to continue reporting 5 bars despite a large loss of signal strength.

If you read the anandtech article, the range at which the iPhone displays 5 bars is huge.

Try going to a place where you have 2 or 3 bars, and then holding it in the death grip for a bit and you will see it go down to 1 or 0.

3. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

It's all relative to the signal at any given location at that moment. I CAN NOT recreate signal loss at work, I can do it with ease at my house where I get terrible reception.

4. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

5. HXGuy macrumors 68000

As others have said, it depends on your signal strength.

Looking at your pictures, you have a full 5 bars. It will not affect you. Go into an area where you have 2-3 bars and report back.

Even at your own house...try this. Download the Speed Test app and run it while touching the side and let us know if you notice any changes in the download and upload speeds.

I tried this, and even when the signal bars were not dropping, it still affected the download and upload speeds as you can see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh5Q1vhgJ6s

6. samcraig macrumors P6

Because machines and manufacturing aren't infallible? Because there could be 1001 reasons your test environment doesn't equal other people's?

No two phones are EXACTLY the same. They are made to the same specifications. That's not the same.

Are you trying to use your data as proof? Are you questioning the validity of other people's comments. Not sure what your question really means.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I really hate to be rude, but have you really not read any of the dozens of articles on this or the hundreds of threads? I'm not one of those "you should search" people, but I'm honestly just confused by this thread since it's pretty much the only thing people have been talking about here for 2 weeks straight. Pretty much every thread I've seen gives you the answer to your question as well as a link to the article explaining it.

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

In a minute, uninformed trolls well meaning forum goers will scream and shout politely tell you that you are an idiot and that every iPhone ever made, ever, is affected by these issues only to be corrected by a full blown recall with a televised public apology by Steve Jobs and Jonathan Ives proceeded by a community egging user experiences may vary.

9. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

I have done that and still no signal loss. seems to rule out your low signal area theory!

10. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Go in a low signal area, with 2 bars or so. Take a video of your phone with your hand covering the lower left.