Iphone4 speaker quiet after spilling food on it

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Luv2diy, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Luv2diy macrumors newbie

So I spilled a pea size drop of creamed spinach near the home button. It oozed over the side and got some on the speaker. I promptly wiped it up and used a small dry paint brush to get it all off. Now I can hardly hear anything(music, ring tone, etc) and it sounds like it's in a tin can or something. Seems like a big design flaw that very small spills would affect the phone. All I could find on my search was about people who got the whole phone wet; like dropped it on the toilet. Now that is understandable...

2. jake4ever macrumors regular

Take it in to Apple? But that might void the warranty....

3. TigerBabe macrumors 6502

Sounds like it needs to be taken apart and cleaned possibly. BTW don't use your iphone as a spoon. JK

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Small spills like spilling liquid food directly on it and then likely further pushing it in with the brush? I'm not sure that's a design flaw...

5. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

So let me get this straight, you call it a design flaw because you were clumsy enough to spill soup on it?

I'm in awe OP.

6. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

7. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

+1

8. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

Just clean it, and go to apple and say idk what happened, and boom new iPhone 4..

9. prestomusic macrumors regular

You only have to look at the fine mesh grill on the speaker and mic to see that it would easily be blocked by such a thich food based liquid. If your getting some audio, that's a good sign. Clean the grills and you should be back in business. I'd say this would be best done from the inside out with water or some kind of cleaner to break down the dried matter and then blast out with air. Goggle how to open up the phone and give it a go, or take it to a repairer and pay.

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Gotta love people like you who drive up prices and make it harder for people with actual problems to get help.