Iphone4 Still getting signal loss with bumper

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by starstreak, Jul 16, 2010.

1. starstreak macrumors 6502

Not trying to start an argument, but can someone who's not in a 100% signal area try running a speedtest and check to see if upload speed drops? I tried it and the moment my thumb tuches the volume buttons the upload speed goes downward,and when I move my thumb it starts to climb up b4 the test ends.

I didn't even think the cover buttons on the bumper was metal.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Now it drops signal when you touch the volume buttons too?
    What else are we going to hear?:rolleyes:

3. JonBorichef macrumors regular

JonBorichef

Perhaps its not the physical connection that only loses bars. Maybe you're blocking the signal...

4. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

No really. Can someone else try speedtest.net app? Dload seems ok, but upload will drop speed. I'm not in a 100% signal area, but I can lower my thumb on the vol buttons and I can make the numbers stop climbing when the upload is about 70% done.

5. aristobrat macrumors G5

Anandtechs article from earlier shows that even with a case, it loses signal. It just loses a lot less signal than without a case.

6. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah.I never read that article. Conductivity sucks.lol If I use my right hand to hold the phone and use that hand on the buttons it's ok or not that noticeable. In my left hand it's alot worse.

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

All phones attenuate through our body. Even with the case there is a -10dBm drop.

8. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

True,bit if Apple is saying this bumper fixes the issue, it doesn't. At least not completely. And it's not the case,but the button touch that causes the loss.

9. mcnicks macrumors regular

Metal or not, the volume buttons on the bumpers have a plastic backing. :rolleyes:

10. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

in the words of Jonathan Mann..

"if you dont like it, Bring it Back"

this is going to be my response from now on to anyone who complains about the bumper not working or the signal "issue"

Asked and Answered.... over and over and over

Blonde Buddhist

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    People think all other phones dont drop signal when you hold them at certain places or certain ways. Get over it and stop beeing OCD.
    The bumper or any case solved the problem for me.
    Now hope we see a proximity sensor fix soon.

12. starstreak thread starter macrumors 6502

Blonde Buddhist- true I would but I'm one of those rare cases. I switched carriers,sold my old phone to pay for this one, bought alot of apps, some accessories for my car. I would loose out big time. Well over $100+

Mcnick- if it's plastic on the back then I'm in error and it's something else causing my speeddrop