Iphone4 vs. iPad resolution

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nighthawk87, Apr 4, 2011.

1. nighthawk87 macrumors newbie

I just picked up an ipad2 and wanted to ask your guys if you notice the difference in resolution a lot? I've had an iPhone 4 sine they came out and to me it is pretty noticeable when surfing the web.

What do you guys think?

2. X2468 macrumors regular

Two different devices, I choose not to compare.

3. number84 macrumors 6502

Yes noticeable. But we all knew that, no?! Different screen sizes, different resolutions.

4. londoner888 macrumors regular

londoner888

As mentioned, different devices/screen size so the difference is not so noticeable for me.
    Certainly not as noticeable as say a 3GS and ip4.

Ip4 screen is much clearer and sharper but iPad's bigger screen makes things look better IMO.

The main notable difference for me is when face-timing, resolution is so much more poorer than iphone's.

5. aleni macrumors 68020

that's the reason i sold my original iPad after my eyes been spoiled by the retina display. but as soon as ipad 2 was released, i was tempted to biy it and i bought it and try to live with it. now i love it, the screen real estate makes the iPad much joy to browse and play games.

6. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Yes, the iPad's screen has a higher resolution screen than the iPhone 4. You're not trying to focus your eyes on the pixels instead of the content are you ?

7. Skika macrumors 68030

Well you can choose to have teh screen further away from your eyes and thus making it retina :eek:. It has better resolution than the iPhone after all.

8. Helevitia macrumors newbie

Yes, you can painfully notice the pixels on the ipad vs. iphone 4. Fortunately that is one of the few complaints I have about the iPad 2. Once you get used to it, you wont notice much anymore. At least that is my experience.

9. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; zh-cn) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Non-issue for me. It's a bright vivid screen. Love it. Will also love "retina" resolution when it's ready for the iPad, but for now I'm thoroughly enjoying the current version.

10. aleni macrumors 68020

u can't get used to it if you have iPhone 4 too, but i'd try to live with it.

11. thedon1 macrumors 6502

Yeah ipads resolution is higher than the iphone 4 but because the phone is so much smaller, it has a higher pixel density and PPI. I'm getting used to my ipad 2 not looking as sharp as my phone.

12. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I see the pixels on my 50 inch 1080P HDTV if I put my nose to the screen. From my couch I don't see them. ;)

13. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

Yes, I notice it a lot as I switch between the devices a lot throughout my day.

However, I don't find it to be an issue and I don't regret buying.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I really don't notice the difference but then I don't use my iPhone for surfing. The screen is really too small for me to use safari and not get frustrated. I use my iPad for all my mobile surfing needs.

If I'm not near a mobile hotspot, then I'll not surf and do something else with my iPad or iPhone.

15. bmat macrumors 6502

The iPhone screen size is just too small for me to browse (and too slow), so I only use it in a pinch. My iPad looks just fine from the proper viewing distance.

16. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

It's lower resolution than the iPhone 4 but higher resolution than the MacBook Pro. The reason it looks blocky is that you're viewing webpages in portrait that are designed to be viewed in landscape, while already on a smaller screen than most laptops. Just zoom in a bit, switch to landscape, or figure out a way to ignore the pixels.. I find things are still easily readable even if they are a little blocky.

17. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Methinks you are a bit confused as to what "resolution" means. Here are the screen resolutions of various things:

iPhone / iPhone 3G / iPhone 3GS = 480 x 320
    iPhone 4 = 960 x 640 (exactly double that of the original iPhone)
    iPad / iPad 2 = 1024 x 768
    current MacBooks / MacBook Pros = 1280 x 800, 1366 x 768, and up

So iPhone < iPhone 4 < iPad < MacBook/MacBook Pro when it comes to resolution.

The OTHER thing to measure is DPI -- Dots Per Inch, or pixels per inch. In that area, the iPhone 4 is superior to the others because it packs more pixels into each square inch than any other Apple display. If the iPad had the same DPI as an iPhone 4, the resolution would be comparable to a 30" Apple Cinema Display -- and that's MASSIVE resolution. The main reason for getting the "Retina Display" on the iPhone 4 first is that it has a comparably small screen.

When you view a "Retina Display" at an appropriate distance, you don't really see the pixels anymore -- they are individually smaller than the human eye can discern. For that reason, it seems self-defeating for DPI levels to get much higher than "Retina Display" level. There will come a point when resolutions stop getting higher and displays just start getting cheaper and better (e.g., better, more accurate display of colors, etc.).

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The things people fixate on. Yes I notice the difference, no I don't care. It doesn't bother me in the least.

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

20. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Yes, when I say resolution I mean DPI. The iPad has a greater DPI than the MacBook Pro.

I don't see the point of even talking about resolution in the sense you're referring to since the screen sizes are so different, so I use the terms interchangeably.

21. LightSpeed1 macrumors 6502a

LightSpeed1

What he said.

22. slicecom macrumors 68020

Well don't, because they're two different things.

23. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Fair enough. To be clear I'll use DPI/PPI in the future.

24. JoshBoy macrumors 6502

JoshBoy

the only time it really gets to me is when typing and you zoom in holding your finger down to make a correction and it is really blurry compared to the Iphone4

25. jackbenson macrumors newbie

Although the iPhone technically has a better screen res, I think the iPad is much better suited to doing tasks such as web browsing.

For example, when browsing on the iPhone, you have to zoom in lots in order for the text to be large enough to read. However on the iPad, you can zoom in a little and the text is easy to read, still giving you more view of the website.