Iphone4, why no profile? Are you serious?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wayneholbrook, Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneholbrook macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

No profiles again? 3 years and running and you still can control profiles? Why is it that I can’t have one mail account make sound notifications such as a work email and leave the other emails silent? Why do we have to have them all on or have them all off.

Why cant I turn the ringer off and only people that I select can ring through… These are the most common profiles that have been on other devices for years. I thought for sure that this OS4 would have this option. This option is great for the business community.

I wish we at least had an app for that!

2. Orange™ macrumors 6502

Blah blah blah!

Get a droid already and stop whining!

3. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

Why would anyone need a profile on a phone? It's not a multiuser device?

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

*facepalm*

He's telling you to stop complaining about it and go get a phone that does that.

This is an iPhone forum. You can whine and complain about all the features you think it should have, but guess what? You aren't going to accomplish anything exept taking up arn's server space... If you don't like it, don't use it.

SOUND profiles. Didn't even read the OP did you?

5. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

He has every right to complain.
    Profiles should have been included a few updates ago.
    If you want the iPhone to be taken seriously in the business world, something basic as profiles should be part of the os.
    My main problem is that they won't even allow an app developer to write an app to do that.

6. wayneholbrook thread starter macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

How about sounds like SMS, I can't believe we are still stuck with those standard sounds. Why can't we add to those sounds.

While I'm at it, how about a task manager so you can close all background apps at once instead of closing one at a time.

Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone 4, I think it's the best phone on the planet. I tried messing around with the droid, I had blackberries for years, but I've been an iodine user for 3 years now and their is no better phone on the market today. But I started this thread because I truly believe these basic features should have been added last year and not to have it with os4 is shocking. I was hoping a Apple tech might read some of these blogs and maybe just maybe take some advise from it's users.

To re-hash what I would love to see is:

1. Profiles
    2. SMS Sounds management
    3. Task Manager

7. lilo777 macrumors 603

Could you, please, tell us what the appropriate topic for discussions on this forum are? I know some: how great Apple is, how great Steve Jobs is, how great iPhone is. Have I missed something?

8. elistan macrumors 6502a

I've been an iPhone owner for three years now - this is definitely a feature I'd love to have. I've used cut-and-paste maybe a half dozen times since it was introduced, but config profiles would be something I'd use multiple times every day. I'd set up an overnight profile (no vibrate, no email/sms sound alerts, silent default ring), a meeting profile (silent, with vibrate), a loud profile (max volume) and of course a normal one, and whatever else I think of.

9. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Profiles are overrated. Had them on my blackberry and never used them.

With the time it takes to change a profile, you an go into settings and flip two switches.

Dont hold your breath waiting for them on iOS. The most important ones are silent or not and for that you have a dedicated switch on the iPhone.

10. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Nobody is allowed to say how they would improve an Apple product! How dare him!

11. elistan macrumors 6502a

I envision them being automatically enabled based on time of day. Say, at 11:00pm the "silent overnight" profile is enabled, then at 8:00am the "normal" profile. Then manually enable other profiles on an as-needed basis. (I used to swap profiles all the time on my old Nokia candybar phone. It was very easy to do with how they had the menu system set up.)

Yeah, and everybody who ever asked for cut-and-paste should be burned at the stake. :)

12. fastblack macrumors regular

And mms, and multitasking. How could you ever want a feature the phone doesn't have?!

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I can see sms tones but taskmanagers are not needed when the os handles the memory usage fine and the way iOS4 implements multitasking.
    About profiles go with a Nokia :)

14. Reluctant Adept macrumors member

I understand your desire for #1 and #2. I don't think Apple will just follow the crowd on profiles, though. It's more likely that they'll do something when they revamp contact management and calendaring on MobileMe, perhaps with the rumored integration of social networking. They're less prone to doing "spot" features and more inclined to work them into the bigger picture in an interesting way.

#3, though? I don't get the desire to micromanage the phone. What most users dislike about computers is the amount of care and feeding they take. I agree with Jobs here - if a normal user needs a task manager then you've screwed up. Why do you want to close apps? The memory they use can be reclaimed for other apps instantaneously, so that's a non-issue. If they're doing something useful in the background then there are obvious indicators (like the play icon for background audio.)

Would you really want to kill background tasks and accidentally stop a photo upload or SMS send you didn't realize was still in progress? Any truly rogue application that takes an unacceptable amount of time in the background will be killed on your behalf.

15. coasterider macrumors regular

To #3:

SJ said a multitasking done right does not need a task manager. And in an email response once about this same question he said trust the iphone.

16. wayneholbrook thread starter macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

I should have called his thread "Things we would like the Iphone 4 to have"

Ok, maybe the task manager is a stretch, but #1 & 2 are elementary. To those who think profiles are a waste I can tell you it's a must in the business environment, if you don't like it you don't have to use it but at least make it an option for the business community.

Other then those two options, this freaking phone does it all and more. i can't even imagine what the iPhone 5 could possibly have.

Blackberris have become paper weights and the os looks like it was designed by Charlie Brown. They have become glorified pagers, the only phone that can compete with iPhone is the droid, or should I say the only os that can compete is droid and as I said earlier after trying it even the droid doesn't compare.

Blackerry lovers use to say all the time "Blackberries are so much more secure" everytime I hear that I'm like "What, do all you people work for the Pentagon, give me a break".

Come over to 2010, and leave ten year old technology behind you.

17. prelude9569 macrumors newbie

18. Flash69 macrumors regular

I would like to have 2 types of profiles. One would be time based as mentioned above but I would also like profiles to be GPS location based. This would allow my phone to switch profiles when I get to work or home.

I agree with the folks in the thread that say this is a MAJOR issue for pushing iphones into corporate america. My company uses Blackberries for paging and they would never switch to iphones because an iphone cannot alert on high priority emails.

Ironically enough I emailed Apple about this just 2 days ago. I know it will not make a difference but Apple needs to understand that these features are present even on the lowest end devices.

There is a jailbroken profile app that I might have to consider.

19. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

20. Flash69 macrumors regular

21. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

If you have any issues with the iPhone's functionality I would suggest sending your complaints to Apple's iPhone Feedback website instead of telling us about it.

EDIT: Looks like someone beat me to it :p

22. toanavinai macrumors member

HEY.

Don't knock on poor Charlie; he's had a tough wrap ever since his old gig was canned. I'm sure he worked damn hard on that OS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.