iPhone4 Wifi always on, even on sleep mode

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arram, Nov 21, 2010.

1. arram macrumors member

I recently bought an iphone4 and currently just using it as a touch since theres no unlock, and I noticed every morning the phones battery would drop from 100% to 20%. And finally I saw the wifi never turns off even on sleep mode. The amount of usage time basically equaled the standby time. So i turned off the wifi and the usage and standby times are alot more reasonable now. Any way to fix this?

2. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

Wow I leave my iPhone on all night without charging with Wifi on and it doesn't drop more than 10% maybe 20%. Now I'm not sure if the wifi turns off when I put it in sleep mode, but even so theres something wrong with yours, if your losing that much battery. I'd suggest taking it in to the Apple store.

3. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I leave mine on with 3g and wifi and everything on.....and it doesn't drop any. Or if it does, it's like 1%

4. arram thread starter macrumors member

I know cause I'm sure your wifi isn't on when it goes into sleep mode. When I turned off wifi the percentage didn't move. It was when I woke up and realized usage and standby time was 11 hours and battery at 20%. Maybe a restore will fix it but would rather be that the last option

5. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

usage time = standy time

sounds like its streaming something in the background over wi-fi

wifi usually turns off when you put your phone to sleep if its not doing anything

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

There has to be something that you have running, be it syncing with Exchange/MobileMe, checking for messages, etc.

I don't know why people don't just charge their phones overnight.

7. arram thread starter macrumors member

I closed every app in the background and my Email is to check every hour. I don't know what else I can do or if there's an app to see what's running

8. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

put email on manual and make sure it is set to fetch not push

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

I never turn mine off. Wifi, 3G, 3 email accounts including two exchange accounts running all night. At the most it will drop 1 to 2 percent over night.

This is with a iPhone 4 with the latest firmware. :cool:

10. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

11. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

you got an app running or you need to restore as NEW...
    WIFI shouldn't consume battery in standby mode like that...

12. arram thread starter macrumors member

I put emails to manual and still same thing. I'm running 4.1 custom firmware using redsnow dfu mode. I guess I'll restore with 4.1 and just use limerain to jb. Before I do that, any other ideas?

13. arram thread starter macrumors member

I think its due to hacktivation. Once I get my sim cutter I'll activate it with att sim card.

14. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

There's your answer :cool:

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

This is why we need a jailbreak questions section...people wait 5 posts until they mention they've jailbroken, would save everyone a lot of time.

16. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Well, there is a whole jailbreak section.

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

There is the iPhone Hacks section already :rolleyes:;)

18. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

A normal iPhone reverts to 3G when locked, doesn't it? Since this guy doesn't have a SIM in it his phone is constantly on WiFi and had to maintain it. I'm assuming that's why it uses up more battery. I'll test out this theory just by disabling data on my phone and letting WiFi on overnight.

19. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

yeah pretty damn annoying

i find it pretty funny when people install several packages and then don't really know what each one does, but then come here asking for help when the phone acts differently ( usually an activator issue)

20. sonymactony macrumors newbie

Hey guys, out of interest why does the iPhone revert to 3G when locked? Had my iPhone 4 for a nearly 2 weeks, my 1st iPhone.

21. Zcott macrumors 68020

22. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Wasn't it a feature of 4.0 that it kept Wi-fi on even in sleep mode?

I know it was changed, I don't know if it went from on in sleep mode to off in sleep mode, or vice versa. :confused:

23. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

iOS 4.0 and newer have the persistent Wi-Fi feature.

This means that a device will stay connected to Wi-Fi if either of the following is true:

- No cellular network is available (if you don't have a SIM in the device then that's obviously going to be the case). iPod touch and iPad (not the 3G model) also fit in this category. If you have an iPhone with a valid SIM and there's no cellular signal or you have turned off Cellular Data, the phone will stay on Wi-Fi in sleep mode.

- You have the device plugged in to a power supply

24. Marlon177 macrumors member

i believe because the cellular data is off under network (there is no sim card), i disabled the cellular data couple days ago, then i realized the wifi will constantly stay on even the phone is in sleep mode.