Iphone4S - inteligente antena switching effecting case?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by h1kar1, Oct 9, 2011.

1. h1kar1 macrumors regular

h1kar1

Ok, was just thinking.

Since the iPhone4S now does intelligent antenna switching would cases like the Vapor Comp iPhone Case that use's a plastic side still work. Since the phone now switches between two antennas for the best reception ?

Just wondering what other peoples thoughts on this was.

2. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Yes. But it's only meant if you hold it naked, otherwise full aluminum cases will still impact reception.

3. h1kar1 thread starter macrumors regular

h1kar1

SchneiderMan,

Yes I understand that is why I pointed out Vapor comp which is a hybrid.

I am talking about those hybrid cases and other that specifically add rubber or some kind a material so there aluminum case so it is not touching the phone.

What I am pointing out is that there are two antenna's being used (switching between them for best reception) so for those cases that focus on just one side the left will they have issues with the new iPhone?

4. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can you explain this further? Have you seen a vapor pro? It doesn't reduce signal in the 4 but I'm wondering if the 4S changes anything.

5. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

No it doesn't change anything. The smart antenna only works when you hold it naked. Otherwise it's just like the iPhone 4 with aluminum cases and even hybrid ones.

6. h1kar1 thread starter macrumors regular

h1kar1

Ok here is a good article on how the switching works.

http://gizmodo.com/5846638/giz-explains-whats-so-smart-about-the-iphone-4ss-antenna

Now like I was saying intelligent switching takes the best signal from the antenna's. Yes I assume the vapor as an example would work but the thing is there will only be one antenna to choose from since the other isn't isolated like the first one.

So saying it only works naked would be a miss conception because it still would choose the best antenna to use.

ie. It doesn't work by touch. like if hand is here use other antenna. It works by signal if signal is greater on this antenna use it instead.

I am no antenna guy nor is the iPhone 4S even out yet.
    But this is what I was trying to wrap my head around the other night so figured I would post to get other peoples input on how they think it works and if any the affect on aluminum cases.

7. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

I had these exact same concerns when I first read about the 4S design. I ended up ordering a e13ctron hybrid as it seems to be the least likely to affect an antenna at any location.

8. Brazzy macrumors regular

this

9. h1kar1 thread starter macrumors regular

h1kar1

Stags55, Yes I am leaning the exact same way. Need to buy one for myself and my wife. Just want to make sure pick right...

Also trying to figure out what color to go with with my wife's phone since she got the white one. Don't see may images of white phones around with there bumper