iPhone4S locked to wrong phone number?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by BeatCrazy, Dec 26, 2011.

1. BeatCrazy macrumors 65816

Hi,

Got a new-in-box iPhone4S that was an upgrade from an unrelated account. I had AT&T associate the new SIM (that came with iPhone4S) to my phone (unrelated) number, and also the IMEI. I also called Apple and had them associate the 4S Serial number to my iTunes account.

But, whenever I try to activate the 4S, it still thinks it is tied to the original phone number. The SIM inside definitely is tied to my line, because I can take it out and put it in another iPhone4 and makes calls as expected. Put it in the new 4S, and it still wants to activate with the unrelated number.

I had the owner of the unrelated number disassociate my IMEI from their account/number, still doesn't work.

What other steps could I try?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

For the initial activation it would need the original owners sim and he has to enter his last 4 numbers of his social and billing zip code on itunes.
    It doesnt matter if AT&T associated the IMEI number or any of the stuff you did. After the initial activation it will never ask you for that info again but when its sold under contract under an AT&T account it needs to activate on that first.

3. BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you. I had feared this was the situation. The original owner refuses to give me the accounts last four SS number. Do I have any option besides asking for a refurb exchange at the Apple store?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I know it sucks, but if you were in his position you'd also feel weird giving some stranger the last 4 of your social. He should have activated first on his own so you wouldnt have this issue but he prob didnt know either.
    Yes, your other option would be to bring it to Apple.
    Make up some excuse why its giving you problems so they can replace it for you.
    The replacement will activate fine with any AT&T sim.

5. BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, tough situation for both parties.

Too bad the phone is brand new, and if I go to the Apple store, they will give me a refurb 4S.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, but those refurbs are perfect. You will not be able to tell its refurbished.
    Also the 4S has been out for a few months now so how used can it be by the time they returned it and went through the refurb cycle?

7. BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 65816

Ya, you are right. Not too worried, as I had a refub iPhone 4, and actually my iPad2 had to be swapped for a refurb. Both seem just fine.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good luck dude, hope it all works out in the end.

9. BeatCrazy thread starter macrumors 65816

Apple store tried a variety of hard resets, but nothing worked. They ended up giving me a refurb, which activated as expected.

Good guys there at the Apple store.