iphone4s unlocked on H20

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chuncaso90, Nov 29, 2011.

1. chuncaso90 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, this is my first post!
    ok so here it goes

I bought the official unlocked iPhone 4s from the online apple store
    and I'm using it on H20

BUT when i connected my phone first time with iTunes, it DID NOT
    say it was " unlocked" and on my GENERAL > ABOUT

it says carrier ATT 11.0

im scared is this locked to AT&T? those of you who doesn't know H20,
    its a MVNO of ATT network. ALSO BECAUSE i cannot change my network APN and mms settings D:

please help me!

Attached Files:

• photo.PNG
      photo.PNG
      File size:
      87.5 KB
      Views:
    • 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      138.5 KB
      Views:
  2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

How much did you pay for it?

Also, did you ask for an Unlocked phone or a No Commitment phone?

3. chuncaso90 thread starter macrumors newbie

i paid full 649
    "UNLOCKED AND CONTRACT FREE"
    from the apple website
    I'm just scared because its saying AT&T :(

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I was asking because Contract Free and Unlocked are two different things.

If its Uncloked I thought it was supposed to say in the about settings "Carrier 11.0"

5. chuncaso90 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

If I were you I would take it back to where ever you bought and have them take a look at it, if they sold you the wrong phone I would have them exchange it before your return period ends.

7. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Don't worry.

I'm pretty sure, as you are explaining, h2o is using AT&T network only, that's why it says AT&T 11.0 on the carrier. Because my unlocked phone says something similar but on a swedish carrier, even if it's unlocked. That's because it uses that network with that simcard, try using any other simcard that you know doesn't take use of AT&T's network and you'll not be worried.

Sometimes my prepaid sim is displaying a network which is from another carrier just because the prepaid card uses the network of that specific carrier in certain areas.

I'm sure apple doesn't fool you on that, that would just be ridiculous.

8. chuncaso90 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks
    can you explain why it doenst let me configure data and mms settings though?
    i was thinking it might have to do with carrier settings as well (because it recognize it as AT&T)

9. lazybee macrumors member

That's how it should look on an unlocked 4S. AT&T is the network it is picking up --because of the MVNO being 'virtual'--, so that is the carrier name in 'About'. I have been using a factory unlocked phone in France and my carrier is "Orange 11.0" if I use a MVNO in the UK it will show the host operators system network and not that of the MVNO. You phone is working fine and it is unlocked. On Orange France with a pay as you go sim, and O2 in the UK I do not have access to the APN settings as well so it is nothing to worry about. 3G/Edge has worked fine without a hitch.

10. lazybee macrumors member

The APN settings are automatically gathered by iTunes during a sync and the phone during normal use.

11. chuncaso90 thread starter macrumors newbie

hm are you saying it should automatically gather H2o's mms settings?

of its correct, i guess there are other problems that are causing my phone malfunctioning? (MMS)

12. lazybee macrumors member

It will have gathered the settings automatically to the very best of my knowledge. Something else is the issue here.

13. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

You can't change the APN settings on a official unlocked phone using H20 (or any AT&T MNVO) because the phone technically thinks it's on AT&T (and thus uses AT&T's settings) and AT&T blocks users from making APN changes.

Look up the T-Mobile sim swap trick to change the APN settings for H20. Essentially you insert a T-Mobile sim (it can be unactivated, also any non-at&t partner SIM will work) and, while in the APN settings window, change the APN settings to H20's, reinsert the H20 sim and exit the APN settings screen.

Plenty of guides available. If you don't have a t-mobile sim, plenty available on ebay for a few bucks, shipping included.

14. KPOM macrumors G5

It's unlocked. The "official" unlocked phones don't give the "congratulations, your phone is unlocked" message for some reason (but the AT&T unlocked phones do). I'm guessing that the carrier settings show up as AT&T since H20 runs on AT&T's network.

----------

An alternative is to go to www.unlockit.co.nz from the iPhone browser. It has lots of APN settings available for download, or you can create a profile manually with the right settings.

15. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

For AT&T MVNO's, that only works to enable web. To enable MMS, you need to either jailbreak or for unlocked phones, do the sim swap method I was referring to.

16. chuncaso90 thread starter macrumors newbie

An alternative is to go to www.unlockit.co.nz from the iPhone browser. It has lots of APN settings available for download, or you can create a profile manually with the right settings.[/QUOTE]

I'll def try this! Thanks all of you :)

17. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

The above will work for data only. For mms you need to do what I mentioned.

H20 requires a proxy to work with mms and you need to edit the apn to do this.

18. chuncaso90 thread starter macrumors newbie

I got data to work before this post actually,
    I misread what u said
    I guess I need to buy a tmo micro sim :(

19. Diode, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Once you get the APN screen enter the following:

http://bigwireless.us/wap/mms.html

You'll need to do this (IE swap in the tmobile sim, go to the APN settings, enter h20's info) every time you update the iOS or reset network settings. Rebooting the phone, syncing etc should not effect it.

This will also enable data, so no need for the mobile config.