iPhone5 and nike+

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Vstratto, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Vstratto macrumors newbie

Does the nike+ sensor actually fit an iPhone 5? The pics online show it with the large plug to suit an iPhone 4, will it work or will I need to buy an adapter too?

2. inck243, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013

inck243 macrumors member

The plug part is only for an iPod nano. Your phone can just connect to the part you put on your shoe without the adapter. Except it doesn't say if it's compatible with the iphone 5 so maybe it doesn't work with it at all.

3. Vstratto thread starter macrumors newbie

Nike+

So can I just get the shoe sensor without having to by the bit that plugs into the iPod

4. inck243 macrumors member

Well on apple.com it appears as though it is not compatible with the iphone 5 at all. If you have a 4S or older it shows that it is compatible. But, yes you would only need the shoe sensor but again, it doesn't say if it will work the the iPhone 5. Someone who might have it should chime in or you should call an apple store and ask :D

5. weezite macrumors regular

Hey, this was something I was wondering about as well. There's snow outside here so I have to run on a treadmill and obviously the GPS doesn't work on that. The Shoe Sensor DOES work with the iPhone 5, but NOT with the "Running" app. You must use the "Nike + iPod" app, which is already on your iPhone, but might be disabled. Go to Settings on your phone and scroll down to the bottom. There should be a list of apps and "Nike + iPod" should be one of them. Turn it On, use that that, and you should be good to go. You do not need the part that would plug into the iPhone if you do this. You only need the Shoe Sensor.

You could use the "Running" app to run on a treadmill but not with the Shoe Sensor. If you choose your location as an "Indoors" run, the phone will work as a motion sensor to track your running. So basically, you have to hold your phone, keep it in your pocket, or wear an armband with it on, which is pretty inaccurate and super annoying.

6. Steevie macrumors regular

7. jdecosta macrumors member

You don't need the sensor on the Nano 6 gen any more. iOS 1.2 took care of that. You can download the app from the app store for the iPhone 5, it's called Nike Plus and DOES NOT need the sensor anymore either.

8. mdehoogh macrumors member

Even if you could plug the receiver into your iPhone 5, it would likely display this message. This is on my 4S

[​IMG]