iPhone5 can't hear sound from 'receiver'

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spike29, Oct 19, 2012.

1. spike29 macrumors member

Just the other day, i noticed that i couldn't hear my caller via the front receiver. but i could only hear from earphone and speaker.

I tried plugging in and out (that's what she said) the earphone jack and it doesn't work. i've also tried restarting the device like 5 times and it still doesn't work. Restoring to factory default doesn't seem to work either :(

Anyone have any suggestions? otherwise, i'll just take it back to apple. and see what they can do about it ($50 says it will work there)

P.S. i also hear 'rattling' on top of the phone. probably just the camera lens from what i have read. or it's the receiver ;)

Any help/suggestions will be appricated.

2. xA4Hx macrumors member

I had issue , I held both buttons down I assume that is what you mean by you said restart , I would take it to apple.

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Did you take the plastic off? :D

And yes, the rattling is normal. Prior to the 5 it was blamed on the camera sensor but the power buttons on the new phones are a bit loose.

4. spike29 thread starter macrumors member

restart = turning the phone off. then turn the phone back on.

5. xA4Hx macrumors member

You hold home and power with it on at same time til it restarts by itselfs and shows apple logo and it fixes the glitch

6. spike29 thread starter macrumors member

Has this happened to you?
    So is it a hardware or software problem??
    So the issue disappeared this morning and now it's back... I SHOULD go to the apple store. I don't think that I should have to reset my phone everyone I want to use the phone like a regular phone....

7. x986 macrumors regular

When I was at my local AT&T shop the other day to get my 'upgrade' 5 updated with my number, a lady came in with exactly the same problem. I was on the fence about Applecare+; that pushed me over.

8. Archer1440 macrumors 6502a

Archer1440

My phone was replaced for this same issue. You can find it in the official Apple support forums.

Try lightly squeezing the phone about 5 mm to the right of the receiver while on a call- it will probably work intermittently. The cause is a bad mechanical contact between the receiver module and one of three leads to the module.

Originally I took my phone to the Genius Bar, they opened it up and "cleaned some dust from under a contact."

In retrospect, looking at the teardown procedures for the phone, and given the time they expended, they probably just opened it up, blew some air into the thing and closed it again.

Worked for a few days and then stopped. Second visit, they replaced the phone with a white box replacement. This one works fine.

9. xA4Hx macrumors member

10. Hassnaa macrumors newbie

Ffs

i litterally just registered to let you know that i had this issue with my iphone for a while and it was frustrating, i read this forum and tried all the suggested solutions then out of frustration i just banged the iphone's upper side on the table and it ****ing worked.

i **** you not.

11. titanup macrumors newbie

Apply Pressure just to the Right of Earpiece

My earpiece stopped working about two weeks ago. Like everyone else, I thought it must be something in my settings that was causing this very frustrating issue. Tried resetting, and spent a LOT of time online looking for a solution. Then I read the above post in this thread, pushed on the area just to the right of the earpiece and EUREKA!, my phone was healed! Well, actually it will probably function for a limited period and go out at the most inconvenient time possible. This is an obvious flaw in the iPhone 5. I wonder how many people have just gone in and paid for a new phone, thinking they must have done something wrong, or due to the fact this defect became apparent after the warranty period. I am probably in the latter group and wonder what Apple will do when I hit the store with a $500 paperweight. Any advice out there?

12. psDash macrumors newbie

It worked.

Hey thanks. Even I had the same issue. I had also taken it to Apple Care, but they said i had to replace the phone fully. As it was out of warranty they asked me to Pay around Rs.22000 (INR). I came back.

Then used the steps mentioned above:
    1. Pressed HOME Button + Power Button, The phone restarted.
    2. Pressed on the right & left side of the received with a bit more force.

Eureka. it started working. Thanks man.

<Publishing as I think it might be useful to somebody else too.>

Thanks
    psDash
    [govt jobs]

13. titanup macrumors newbie

After finding the pressure to the right of the earpiece was only a temporary fix in my iPhone 5, i took it down to the Apple Store. They did a thorough exam and determined that the damage required replacing the entire display. Turned out to be $129 + tax as I was out of warranty. This seems to be a very widespread problem, and i wonder if this is not a flaw in the phone that should have been covered by Apple in OR out of warranty. Expensive, but cheaper than a new phone, and other than that problem the phone was in great shape. Now works perfectly. You could always take your phone to a third party vendor and have the display replaced to lot cheaper.

14. yorkieman macrumors newbie

15. yorkieman macrumors newbie

hi- my iPhone 5c developed the same fault two months after the end of its warranty. the store said it would cost me about £90 to fix. I know my phone hasn't been mistreated in any way so i'm curious as to how widespread this problem is? its concerning as we are an apple family and have numerous iPhones, laptops and computers.

i have tried the squeeze tip and this does seem to have worked - but i expect this will be a temporary fix and does seem to indicate it is a fault with the product rather than the treatment it has received.

16. Jason T macrumors newbie

When I went to an Apple Store at Southland in Melbourne Australia, they told me that liquid had gotten into the phone and not only did that render the warranty void but they even refused to replace the screen for a charge. The best they could do was give me a new phone at a cost of $400 odd dollars. I walked out of the store literally to the opposite side of the mall to a third party repairer. They opened the casing of the phone, noted there was no water damage, tightened an internal screw on the screen and fixed the problem (for no charge!!). Left me with a bitter taste of what the "Genius Bar" was dishing out! Made me consider whether my next phone was going to be an iphone.

17. waavygravy macrumors newbie

Wow. Me too. It stopped working randomly. I hit it on the arm of my couch close to the top of the right side of my phone. I tested it with voice memos, and after hitting it, it worked. Didn't before. Tried all of the other helps.