iPhone5 - Case vs AppleCare+

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dylanursula, Sep 14, 2012.

1. dylanursula macrumors 6502

All

Having ordered the iPhone5 I am now debating between a case vs AppleCare+.
    We have two iphone4 phones currently and we have replaced each once during the last 2 years (at a cost of $199 and $0) due to smashed screens even though we had a case on them. Now we are wondering whether to have a case or just buy AppleCare+ instead?

thanks
    Ursula

2. Digidesign macrumors 6502

For me, I never really found a case out there that I liked and found that I just carried around the phone without anything on it. So AppleCare+ made sense.

The questions I usually ask my friends when they are at this crossroad is:

1) How comfortable are you paying $99 for AppleCare+ and $49 for a replacement (if needed)?

2) How much do you like cases, or have you seen a case out there that you like?

3. dylanursula thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Digi. We have always used cases for our iPhone4 and iPhone3G. However with the 4 we noticed the screen still smashed lol. Therefore perhaps paying $99 for apple care+ per phone is better and we get to them covered for accidental too.

4. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

How about Apple+ and a cheap eBay case.
    This way you can keep the phone looking new and you won't have to worry about the phone getting smashed

5. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

6. dylanursula thread starter macrumors 6502

I think if we get AppleCare+ we were considering refraining from a case completely. Are we mad?

7. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

Nope, i'm right there with you. The 5 looks too nice to have a case. I say that now, but will end buying a few, I'm sure.

8. nws0291 macrumors 6502

I used my 4 caseless after the bumber fell apart in 4-5 months. Screen is still perfect but the back had some minor surface scratches. Bought a new back and the phone looks new. Planning to just add a thin film on the back only of the black 5 (that doesn't cover the new lens cover).

Without question my girlfriend's 5 I bought is getting a lifeproof case :p

9. DribbleCastle macrumors regular

DribbleCastle

Going AppleCare with no case

After using the iPhone 5 without a case for a week I think im gonna go careless this year. Here is my reasoning.

Firstly, I feel that iPhone 5 is well built and less likely to shatter when dropped. Aside from the screen of course, but that can still happen with the slim cases I prefer. Second is protection. If I dropped it in water I can still get a replacement cheaper than a $199 replacement, and the bonus is I have another accidental damage replacement available for $50. Third resale value, I get a new phone iPhone every year, AppleCare+ will only add to the value of the resale. If my phone happens to be in bad shape before I sell it(scratches and such), I can always purposely break/water damage my phone to get a replacement before I sell it, raising the value of the sale. If its I'm good shape I don't have to worry. If I assume I'm going to replace my phone at least once why even buy a case. I'll just put that money towards AppleCare+.

AppleCare+ $99
    Accidental damage replacement = $49
    Typical case I buy is $30-35

In my eyes I'm paying $120 for protection and/or a higher resale value next year. Of course if I happen to break my phone twice the value is out the door for resale.

Just my thoughts.

10. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

That's EXACTLY how I feel. And besides who buys 1 case these days?? Most people buy a few. There goes $100. Midas well buy AppleCare+ and use phone without a case. Lets face it, we all love the iPhone 5 without a case better then with a case whether you want to admit it or not.So IMO I will give it a shot and go without a case for the next year hopefully,and we'll see how it goes.

11. christof, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

christof macrumors 6502

I went through this same exercise last year with iPhone 4S. But this was my dilemma: iPhone with AppleCare+ or with LifeProof.

Last year, I chose LifeProof. I had a 25% off coupon with BestBuy, so the case was only around $60 (normally $80). I've taken iPhone with me everywhere. I've dropped it. I've cliff dove with it. I've dunked it in water. I've let my nieces and nephews abuse it. As an active person and frequent traveller, LifeProof has been a great—no, awesome—$80 value.

This year, iPhone 5 seems so perfect; it's reminiscent of the original iPhone design, still my favorite, scuffs and all. I used my original $600 iPhone with no case. It's a beaut.

Does iPhone 5 deserve a case? It sure is pretty, and that will affect resale values. While I love using iPhone with my active lifestyle, my objective is to also resell it next year—every year—so I can upgrade to the newest iPhone. I'm a Verizon customer who pays full price ($750 plus tax for the 32GB) in order to keep unlimited data. Alas, while I'll never sign another two year agreement and will never benefit from two year contract pricing, I'll keep unlimited data and will always be able to buy a new phone. The thing is: I prefer to sell my last one.

LifeProof seems decently thinner this year, but it now appears to have an exposed back logo for iPhone 5. Read: if it's fully exposed, it'll still scuff, and at the end of the year—at resale time—I'll have iPhone 5 with a scuffed square for an Apple logo. This won't be good for resale.

My interim solution: Bestskinsever and a metal button bumper from eBay. I'm leaning toward AppleCare, especially if LifeProof has a truly exposed rear logo, similar to the LifeProof iPad nuud case's front with its fully exposed front panel. LifeProof will be a cheaper solution and could probably help at resale time, but it's a non-starter for me if the back logo is exposed and will be scuffed at the end of the year.

12. sharkbait006 macrumors newbie

What does Applecare+ actually cover?

If I dropped my phone into my swimming pool or dropped my phone and busted the screen?

13. calvy macrumors 65816

both. Only thing it doesn't cover is theft or loss.

14. christof macrumors 6502