iPhone5 Graphics = PS3 Quality?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MBX, Jan 17, 2011.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

2. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Is this a joke thread ?

If not then erm. No... not for a long LONG LONG LONG LONG time. Texture resolutions will never come close to consoles current stuff. Normals and specs are hard enough to render as it is and the ammount of triangles on the models to get a decent texture on (for complex models) is very limited at the moment.

However if we keep getting Epic developing and we have seen what they have managed so far in IOS then we have a VERY exciting future for games on IOS. Oh and Crytek apparantly are looking for IOS developers.. maybe they want a piece of the cake...

3. CZK macrumors 6502a

Not sure if serious...........

But sure i bet it will also be liquid cooled.

Ps3 graphics on a 4 inch screen is uber fail.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Not really. Even "Sony has told licensees the [PSP2] 'is as powerful as the PlayStation 3.'" Source: MCV.

We'll see. I'd say that in that config the iPhone 5 would be somewhere between PS2 and PS3.

5. CZK macrumors 6502a

Psp2 =/= the iphone5 ?

Psp2 is made for gaming only and is a lot bigger than the iphone.

So unless you want a 3 inch thick iphone ( in order to have same gfx as psp2 plus all what the current iphone is offering), this is impossible.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

My point is that PS3 graphics on a mobile device aren't that far off.

7. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Keep smoking that bong.

We can probably get top of the line PS2 graphics with I5.

8. CZK macrumors 6502a

And listening to sony's maketing arguments ( concerning psp2 be as powerful as PS3) is comparable to Vince and his ShamWOW

9. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Yes we are though.. if you dont understand how shaders work with all the texture channels and lighting then you wont understand that mobile phone gaming is WAY off anything thats our current gen (that people still seem to call next gen)

Like a poster previously mentioned PS2 achieved graphics are probably more realistic to next generation of mobile gaming.

Edit: the PSP2 thing I do not believe however if they prove me wrong then they do... but again like someone mentioned thats a device dedicated to gaming and will be much bigger than a mobile phone. Remember mobile phones need to have certain types of hardware and all fit into a small enclosure.. and even putting the best hardware inside a phone isnt an option because its a phone in the end.. and it needs to work best being a phone.. if you have super CPU'S with GPU'S in phones that can do everything we want then say bye bye to the phone functions.. youl be having 2 minute convos over the phone before you need to recharge again

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Hahaha, nice. I concede to the awesomeness.

ri0ku, I understand fairly well how shaders and that work. Most gamers don't care about the specifics they just want it to look great. Mobile device devs use a lot more tricks to make things appear better and after playing some of the games on the iPhone 4 I can say they easily look better than the PS2 in general.

11. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

To make games look good you need shaders with all the fancy texturing and trick texturing to fake certain effects. The iphone games cant do all this yet. I do video game design so I have a little bit of experience with it (not saying im a bible of knowledge or anything infact far from it) I disagree with the current stuff looking better than stuff on the ps2.

Some iPhone games look fantastic dont get me wrong... as I said Epic has pushed the tech the furthest and their stuff looks fantastic however theres reasons these great new games (like rage too) are on rails..... you can do allot of trickery when you can only show the game from certain angles or make the gameplay only work in 1 way.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

And that's my point. You also realize that graphics to some extent are subjective. Crisp clean clear anti-aliased graphics do a lot for me than fancy effects you almost never see.

13. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

PS3 gaming quality is way beyond anything i've seen, it's incredible how textures look in a PS3, how tiny stuff like hair look great and move smoothly.

I think the iPhone is still a few years away from the PS3, but let's face it, the iPhone is not the perfect game platform, it's not even made for gaming.

14. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Well if you want to keep to basic game play then you know... if it keeps you happy. However I want to have games that are sandbox eventually etc that is something you cannot do and will not be able to do with anything close the ps3 graphics on a mobile for a long time.

To me the games are needs allot of stuff in it and needs decent shaders to handle all the well made textures. Norms, Specs, Heights, Alphas, Illuminates etc without these you wont come close to PS3 style graphics. And Anti aliasing has to always occur no matter what and the ps3 shows this.

We simply are a long way off from PS3 achieved graphics on a mobile phone, thats what the threads about and I could continue to discuss graphics and our personal opinions (which I respect) forever. In the end the current and next gen iPhone will not be close to the ps3.

I predict within the next 5 years we will have mobile gaming that is close to our current gen Console gaming.

15. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

16. Savor Suspended

Savor

I personally do NOT care if it did. No buttons means no sale for me as a true gaming device. I am far more interested in the PSP2 which should be announced next week. Just hope the battery life isn't as bad as the 3DS with that HD screen. Playing 16-bit platformer games like Sonic is already a bad enough experience on my iPhone. Rather play it on my PSP.

17. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes now thinking about it I agree there are still long ways to go for the iPhone in terms of gaming. But let's face it with such developers like Gameloft, Epic, Firemint, etc they're really doing a great job bringing console quality games to iOS. You can't describe those games really as typical "mobile phone games".

The future of mobile gaming is in a all-in one device and not in devices such as PSP or DS.

People want to carry a single device for everything (like with music, for games too). So that's why i see the iPhone becoming a serious platform for gaming.

I'm enjoying Modern Combat 2, Real Racing 2, Infiniti Blade, N.O.V.A.2, etc and to me they already look better than some PS2 games and they beat most Wii games anyway.

18. walie macrumors 6502a

ps3 games come on blu-ray discs, what's the capacity of a blu-ray?

19. Savor Suspended

Savor

I think the Sony Ericsson XPERIA Play might be your answer. If they can build on that, we could see more gaming devices like it.

Personally, I still want a PSP2 which should surpass the specs of the Xperia Play. I think we still are not there yet when it comes to battery life to handle these type of graphics though. I hear the Nintendo 3DS will only have 3-5 hours which is hardly acceptable for a cell phone, but those 3D effects will take its toll. I predict Nintendo will revise the 3DS again in like 18 months or so. I play games like Need For Speed Undercover on my iPhone 4, and still only get under 5 hours. Those graphics will take its toll on batt life just like on a PSP. Considering iPhone has no buttons, it really takes away the experience of playing many games and genres the right way to play it.

Tried playing the original Street Fighter II and it sucks. Capcom has to dumb it down and it takes away the skill level for us core gamers who have mastered the controls. Part of building skill from a game comes from the actual controls. And the shape and screen size of the iPhone doesn't make it comfortable to hold for very long which is the experience I got when I had a GBA SP and DS lite. My hands get cramped up real fast. I want the bigger screen and more rounded edges. I believe iPhone's best games are still only on par with the PS Minis because of its limited control scheme. Limited control schemes means limited genres. The biggest question on the PSP2 will be battery life to me. Also, if it can give me better stock from the online distribution because I prefer storing multiple games on my memory card and if can have a TV-out where I can still charge the device in a dock but still play it on a bigger TV. I wouldn't need a home console anymore!

20. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

Even if developers find themselves able to make games with PS3 quality graphics on iOS, game application size is still going to make sure it doesn't happen for the foreseeable future (except, perhaps, in technology demos or other small gimmicky games).

But we will see some kickass graphics. :)

21. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

No.

To summarize this post:

Xbox - 500 million triangles per second
    Playstation 3: 250 million triangles per second
    iPhone 5 (SGX 543): 35 million triangles per second

22. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

not yet, but i dont think we are that far off GRAPHICALLY wise. Some people in here are claiming we are a long long way off however id say within the next 3-5 years it will be possible to match PS3 games visually. Visually some games are on par with PS2 games (Epic Citadel), however its when you consider every aspect of the game in which mobiles are behind (physics, particle effects etc).

23. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

One important consideration is that the iPhone, for the sake of this argument, needs only create graphics which look as nice as the PS3, which means they don't actually need to be as nice as the PS3 given the screensize. But that said, given this and the generally more professional level of design on the PS3, I doubt we'll see top titles on the iPhone which can really compare to good examples in, say, the PS3 or XBox 360.

24. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

1) The PSP2 will be nowhere near the power of the PS3 as claimed. This is more Sony vapor-marketing.

1a) If by some miracle it is, enjoy the fifteen minutes of battery life.

2) The iPhone 5 will not be anywhere near the PS3.