iPhone5 Pickup Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kukag, Oct 6, 2012.

1. kukag macrumors newbie

So I've been trying for a couple days to upgrade my Sprint account with the iPhone 5. I'm Just waiting for one to be available for pick up in store and had a question regarding my pickup. I'm using the upgrade on one phone line and actually going to use my phone on my line. I know how to change over the phone and what not to my phone but when I pick it up from Apple is it preconfigured to activate on boot up for the line I order it for? Can I just ask Apple to open it to make sure the phone doesn't have any scuffs or anything and then take it home and activate it myself, over the phone on my line? Thanks a bunch for any help its appreciated!

Best,
    George

2. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

I am with AT&T not Sprint but when I picked up my phone this morning at Apple store she activated it right there (on the new added line), then I walked over to AT&T store and had it switched over to my primary line! Super easy!

3. kukag thread starter macrumors newbie

hey thanks for the reply! My only complaint with that is when they activate it, it will temporarily stop service to the line I'm upgrading, and then I'll have to go over change it to my line and then have them reactive the others lines original phone. Sprints CDMA so we don't use sim cards, I don't know if that makes it easier on AT&T for swapping stuff around. For Sprint we give them usually the HEX #, IMEI, or w.e and they assign that phones unique ID to the line. I'm wondering if since the phone will be unassigned to any number when I pick it up if they'll let me just pick it up and not activate it, or if its against their policy to not activate it or something I don't know, any more help is greatly appreciated!

4. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

unfortunately that is not possible. even if they don't open the phone, the moment they scan the phone into their system before giving it to you for pickup, it becomes activated with the credentials you provided in the online order. there is no way around this AFAIK, unless I didn't try hard enough.

5. kukag thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh, that makes sense. Alrighty well thanks a bunch guys and gals, I appreciate the help. When I'm able to get one set for pickup I'll go ahead and post how I did it, which I'll try to make the easiest way possible.

Edit : Oh yeah I forgot, Radioshack sold me a 4s on one of the other lines and they were able to do it. Used the upgrade on one line, but activated it on the line I wanted and the other line saw no change. Hmm I'll give Sprint a call tomorrow and see what they suggest.

Best,
    George

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

WRONG

I went into Apple store to pickup phone and they asked to activate. I said NO. The "old"phone still needed to do a backup first. They did the scan and paperwork,etc. We did OPEN the box there to make sure all the parts were inside.

Old phone continued to work until we went through the backup and restore.

This was ATT phone.

7. negrohero9 macrumors regular

negrohero9

I added a new line to my sprint contract and they setup the line right in the apple store...I asked them to make the iPhone 5 as the prime line phone and take my old phone and put it as the new lines phone...they did it all right there in store. Also sprint has SIM cards for the iPhone 4S and 5 just a heads up.

8. kukag thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok perfect. Yeah my only reasoning for this is I'm upgrading a line that my family is using, If I upgrade it I don't want to have to go home and have to call and reactivate that lines original phone on it. And yeah I was aware of SIM's being use but I thought they were for LTE? Anyways thanks a bunch, I appreciate it!

9. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

ok, noted. will have to be more insistent next time.